2nd opinion needed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gobo

Nov 8, 2007
Bucks County, PA
I have an older house and my fireplace smoke chamber is not up to code, plus I want to get the most heat out of log burning so I'm getting a wood burning insert. That is the easy part. I've been advised to get Quadra 4100i or the Bodega Bay. My dealer wanted to first put me in a Jotul. But the guy who examined my fireplace said that the 4100I & Bodega Bay are the only models that would fit in my fireplace do to size and measurements. The Quadra 4100i vents out the rear of the unit and will be able to work with my firebox/chimney specs. Now, my house is 1,600 sqf. Your basic separate living-room, dinning-room & kitchen type house. My fireplace is in a 21 X 12 room. Is the 4100i over kill with BTU output for my room/house? Can I control the heat output enough not to uncomfortably overheat the room?

Advice is appreciated.

Welcome. It might be good to get a second opinion. For sure the Quad 3100 will also fit. Was that suggested? And there are other brands of equal quality.

You will be able to control the output of the stove by regulating the air control and the amount of wood you put in the stove to start with. How do you intend to burn this insert? 24/7 or evenings and weekends? Tell us more about the layout of the house. Is this an open floor plan or closed off rooms?

What is the actual code issue with the fireplace? What are the fireplace firebox dimensions? width, depth, height. Can you post some pictures?

Did you just visit 1 dealer? Maybe you should see another just to compare stove brands, prices, and service?

Thanks for the quick responce. I'm pulling this info from the report: My fireplace was evaluated and found that it constitutes a potiental fire & safety hazard - the NFPA 211 Standard. The smoke chamber is poorly assembled with open webbing of concrete block. Smoke, creosote & heat migration can get into the combustible wall cavity. So the report said. I also looked up into the chamber myself to understand what's going on in there. It was explained to me that my fire place has a deep lintel - 20" EXT. It is this deep lintel that the Quadra 4100 was recommended. The dealer first suggested the 3100, but after the dealer discussed the models with the Tech that evaluated my fireplace, the 4100 was then recommended, stating that this model will fit.

I'm not looking for 24/7 fires. Most of our fires have been Friday, Saturday, Sunday ones. Mainly for the ambiance, but it did take the chill out tof the room. But I would definitely have more evening fires, more days of the week seeing how this insert will heat up my room/house. I've got 2 cords drying since Sept. The first floor layout is somewhat open. Being you can walk completely around through each room, living room, dinningroom, kitchen, foyer, in a circle. But each is a separate room with 8' cellings, not doored off. The foyer is connected to the kitchen & livingroom by a 4' opening which leads to 3 bedrooms upstairs. I have a rather large picture window, in the livingroom that has the fireplace, that has no storm window nor drapes. This is a big source of cold. I have gas forced air heating also.

So that's pretty much it. Thanks for your help!

gobo

gobo said:
But the guy who examined my fireplace said that the 4100I & Bodega Bay are the only models that would fit in my fireplace do to size and measurements. The Quadra 4100i vents out the rear of the unit
Advice is appreciated.
I went through the same Jotul/Quad measurement problem. (And I really worked at it too.) The 4100i appears to be the most unloved by Quad owners, but it can work, and it does produce good heat. My dealer claims the 5100i is their biggest Quad seller, but as you're finding out, it's just too big for many fireplaces. If your family likes the 3100, consider it. (Should fit anywhere a 4100 does, just not as pretty.) Oh, and the 4100 vents out the top, (more or less). Download the manual, and they have a good drawing.

Both the 3100 and 4100 will operate about the same, they use the same technology and design in both fireboxes. The 4100 will allow longer burns due to the increased firebox size.

Also, FYI, our biggest wood insert seller for us is the 2700i for sure, this is due to the large amount of small ZC boxes around here that people are upgrading. We hardly ever sell the 5100i because you really need a huge fireplace to fit it in there.

With the deep lintel that my fireplace has -20"- would the 2700i have any issues with installation. This dealer that I have been talking to says that the 4100i is the only Quad unit that will fit, according to his tech that recently cleaned my fireplace, that got this whole insert thing going. I'm feeling a bit confused with the advice I'm receiving, but I'm grateful for all the info & knowledge I can get.

Any possibility of posting a picture and some dimensions? Are you reluctant to get another dealer's opinion or do you prefer to stick with Quadrafire? (I'm not trying to discourage your choice, but trying to understand your options.)

Ok, the 3100i I could see having problems, the vent is only 8-5/8" back and its flat. Now the 2700i and the 4100i both are around 12-1/2" back and come off at a 30 deg angle. They are both around the same height unless the front can hang down in your setup (look at manual pics to see what I mean). They are similar depths also. All the cad pictures are on page 4.

http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/man_2700i.pdf
http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/man_3100i_act.pdf
http://content.hearthnhome.com/downloads/installManuals/man_4100i.pdf

I'll take some pictures, got to get the camera charged. Yes, I'll contact another dealer. With the cost of the stove & installation, I will get another dealer's suggestion for an insert. And that's the reason I'm on this forum too - lots of knowledge here! I really do appriciate everyones help and suggestions. But one thing is bugging me. With an insert I get more warmth but I loose the visual and crackle of a tradional fireplace and I'm spending big bucks too. When I first looked at the inserts I expected more viewing area with the units and was really disapointed with what I have seen so far. My fireplace is level with the floor and that could add to the poor viewing, true?

There are some nice big-view units out there. I don't have time to check measurements, gotta get to work. The Hearthstone Clydesdale insert comes to mind. Can someone check for it for fit?

Status
Not open for further replies.