2nd saw

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wendell

Minister of Fire
Jan 29, 2008
NE Iowa
I am looking to drop down to a 16" bar on my 350 and looking for a back up saw that I can put a larger bar on for 30+" logs. How many CC's should you have for a 24" bar (I am certainly open to other sizes)?

Any suggestions on models?

imo 70cc-80cc "60cc would do if you have some time"

I am in the same situation. I have a husq. 353 and a poulan 2000. I am getting so fed up with the poulan(piece of sh#t) that I am wanting to replace it with a saw somewhat bigger than the 353. If someone gets really involved with wood you need two saws. I have trouble getting a saw pinched in tops for ex. I have been thinking about the husq. 359. It is really similar to the 350 and if you have learned to work on the 350 like changing clutch etc. you will be able to work on the 359. I think it can pull a 24 inch bar if need be. But I would try to keep a 20 in. bar on mine mostly. I use an 18in. on my 353 because I use the bar to measure my lengths to 18in. which I like. The only thing is the 350 and 359 are very close in size maybe too close. Anyway, I am asking the same questions as you on this. Tony

tonykeller said:
The only thing is the 350 and 359 are very close in size maybe too close.

I tend to agree that they are too close. I have a 353 and a 385. The 385 will cut through a 30" tree with no problem. However, going by Husqvarna's numbers its got 90% more power than the 353. The 359 doesn't even have 20% more power than the 353. The 350/353 size saw is fine for a couple of 30" trees. If its more than a couple, I'm with smokinj. I wouldn't consider anything smaller than a 365 or 570 which have ~40% more power than the 353. If there are a whole bunch of trees this size, I'd step up to a 372, 385, or 390.

Hey Tony... Have you went by PMMR yet? He works on saw's for a lot of different saw shops through out KY. he may have a good used saw on hand.

I'm very pleased with my purchased from him. He a very good saw mechanic.

If your cutting hardwood, 70cc or more. My recommendations for current models are a Husky 372XP, Jonsered 2171, Dolmar 7900, Stihl MS441, or a Stihl 460.

Hey dave, thanks for the information on PMMR. I see where they are located now and business seems to be picking up there. ( a good sign). I will stop there and maybe also take a poulan weedeater that won't start. (Suspect carb. kit needed).

Also for Wendell's benefit, on the topic of a bigger saw to compliment a 350 I was looking at the 365. But has it been replaced by a 570 number. Seems I read that on the forums so that is why I was focusing for now on a 359. Thanks anyone Tony

Jack33 said:
My recommendations for current models .

I'm actually looking for something used. Is there anywhere where you can find model #'s and years of production, engine size, etc.?

Jack has a great suggestion.
I will not cut trees now with more than one cut. I know lots on here will say different, but I hate to go from one side to the other to cut a log in half. I have enough to cut almost any tree from one side and will cut each with one saw. Once I get down enough to grab another saw (to a point) I will.
Example:
Cut a few trees the other weekend at a friends house.
Ran the dropping with a 24" on a 372 husky
Ran the next few with it.
Cut the next with a 361 Sthil with a 20.
Run from there with the others.
Cut once and will be much faster.
Chad

Bigg_Redd said:
My old 041 had a 24" bar. No idea how big the engine was. Worked great.

Well, according to KarlP's GREAT links, it was 61 CC's.

As others have pointed out, the Makita / Dolmar 6400 can be had at a very good price as a refurb / rental sale, and at 64 cc's will do great with a 20" or so bar. Dolmar says it will pull up to a 32", but I'd have my doubts, as I like the general rule of about 3-4cc of engine per inch of bar. That said, I normally run my 80cc Dolmar 7900 w/ a 20" bar, which balances nicely and goes through oak like it isn't there. However I also have a 28" bar that I throw on if I get big wood - and have had it burried full length in maple with NO problem... Given the price that some dealers sell Dolmar at, it seems like an option worth looking at.

Gooserider

In case anybody was dying to know, I ended up picking up a used 7300.

Thanks! It would scare my mom, that is for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.