2nd Stove? What would you do?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Realtor

Dec 7, 2013
Boston MA
I installed a Regency GCi60 last year and it did a great job of heating the house. The house is not very well insulated and has lots of windows so it costs a lot to heat. Needless to say my oil bill is way down! I figure the payback on my Regency will be only about 2 years. I still use oil for my hot water and to heat the lower level of my house. I reduced my oil consumption further by adding a Superstor Ultra which seems to help cut down on the cost of hot water.
My house is on 3 levels and the Regency is located on the main (2nd) level. It does a fine job of heating that floor and the floor above. As I mentioned I'm still using oil on the lower level and I'm guessing I burn somewhere around 1.5 to 2 gallons a day, during the coldest times, to keep that area warm.
I've been contemplating a small pellet stove for that space. I do have a fireplace down there so I could use either an insert or freestanding in front of the fireplace. So I'm trying to figure out how to do this in a sensible way. Obviously If I buy a $4000 stove it will probably take 8 years to pay for itself. I've been thinking about either a cheap, non name brand stove or possibly a used stove but even the used stoves are fairly expensive. Any thoughts?

eta the lower level is probably about 1100 square feet and somewhat open.

Insulated but there is a lot of glass.

Best bang for the buck - IMO - QuadraFire CB1200i (if insert), or Heatilator EcoChoice CAB50 (if free standing). However, there are many other options available with various pros and cons

I would love the 1200i but does it make sense to spend $3k plus liner etc to save $100 a month?

Update: I picked up a second hand Enviro Empress on Craigslist. At $1000 I probably paid too much but it looks to be in good condition and is about 6 years old. My goal is to get it installed in the next couple of weeks. If I can get at least 4 or 5 years out of it I'll be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.