2nd time Top down burn I'm a pro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
First off i have an englander 2200 non cat stove. I've used the top down fire only two times, this being my second. I've read alot about it but only text exist so i took pics of the steps. 3 easy steps, My moister was around 20-25% on the big bottom peices. Layer single large peices across bottom and smaller twards top with about 6 one inch peices on top. Leave room for 4 peices of rolled news paper tied in a knot for very top. Light news papers on top and Crack stove door for 5 mins and then you can shut the door with full air open and shut it down to 1/4 air in 33 mins. that's it! both times no smoke, no face in fire, and i can light it and walk away for 2 hours without anything going out our opening the door!
Load and light paper up top
28f64cfc352a004779b37f6144ae0ddb.jpg
After 1 min shut the door
f60a5b011fed3db21c1fe1014dba1196.jpg
After 30 mins
f69a82a01573f23f5f97ca769cfdeeb9.jpg

Tap down that bottom hinge pin. ;lol

Top down is da bomb.

Kind of huge load for this time of year, no? ;)

Reactions: Cory S
Kind of huge load for this time of year, no? ;)
It ain't exactly warm, even down here. Got a full load going myself. Looks like the stove may be in the basement, too...

You must be right! He is probably outside the house enjoying the house stove instead of just the wood stove!
LoL, i only light my stove every other night right now, one load heats up the basement walls for a day or two after the burn. We have our washer and dryer down their with no other heat. In the winter it runs full time with the door upstairs open.

Reactions: mustangwagz
Wow, I am waaay to big of a weenie to load my stove that full. I'd be standing there with a bottle of wine and fire extinguisher wetting my pants as I watched the stack temp climb. Do love top down method though. It rocks!

Wow, I am waaay to big of a weenie to load my stove that full. I'd be standing there with a bottle of wine and fire extinguisher wetting my pants as I watched the stack temp climb. Do love top down method though. It rocks!
I was told everything is okay as long as the stove doesnt start glowing orange

Reactions: excessads

The heritage loves a full load too. Pack it tight, even against the glass. I did it all winter. As with the nc30, just don't wack the baffles, they're expensive.

Yeah, I know I should be stuffing that puppy full. I just switched to double wall this year and have a damper for extra control, so I will try it....after a few glasses of wine.

I am top down'n as I type. Secondaries came on way earlier this way. Awesome rolling blue/purple. Thanks for including pics. I adjusted my split size to match and had a better result too. I was using too large o'splits.

Reactions: BSH1F
My experience as well. What I like about it most is how quickly the secondaries fire off and the flue comes up to temp, meaning the stove gets operating at peak efficiency quicker.

Assuming properly dry wood, of course...

FWIW, I find with my stove that I get best results without the door cracked open at all, just close the door with air full up at first. It actually works better. With the door cracked open, the new fire seems to get cooled by too much turbulent air. All stoves and installations behave a little differently, though.

Last edited:
For a new fire (i. e. No coals to restart a fire), a top down fire works great for me. I have a quadrafire 2700i. I load it full and light with a Rutland firestarter. Fire burns slow, with little smoke. Great for the shoulder season!

I'll have to try that with my high valley 1500, but my firebox is so small compared to my old wood eater. Next burn will be top down, I'll see how the cats like it lol

My experience as well. What I like about it most is how quickly the secondaries fire off and the flue comes up to temp, meaning the stove gets operating at peak efficiency quicker.

Assuming properly dry wood, of course...

FWIW, I find with my stove that I get best results without the door cracked open at all, just close the door with air full up at first. It actually works better. With the door cracked open, the new fire seems to get cooled by too much turbulent air. All stoves and installations behave a little differently, though.

I am also burning with the Super 27 and have the same experience as you, I find top down works better keeping the door closed and air control max open.

My 70 year old dad was over visiting about 2 weeks ago. As i put the match to the paper I said have you ever heard of the top down method for starting your fires? He said, "no" I said prepare to change the way you start fires. He watched for a couple minutes and said "such an easy method, I'm embarrassed I never thought of doing it that way!"
Always feels good to teach the old man a new trick.

Another top-down fan here. So easy to build - no big pieces rolling off the top of a pile of small pieces. So easy to light - no digging in the bottom looking for the firestarter. They say it burns more of the smoke too.

The fact that the hot gases from burning kindling do not come in contact with cold splits above, greatly reduces quenching of the flames. So combustion is much more complete w/top-down. Flames don't take well to chilling.

Reactions: BSH1F and Squisher
Also the early hot burn of the kindling is right at the top near the baffle/tubes heating the secondary combustion system up that much quicker.

Reactions: CTYank and BSH1F
Status
Not open for further replies.