2nd yr castine owner--- help please....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Soadrocks

Nov 1, 2009
Rochester, NY
So we came back this afternoon, and we had some coals leftover after 6 hours, I put in a couple medium sized splits....got it back up to 400 degrees and then I filled it up to the gills for the night. Packed it very tight. Its 1 hr later and the air is completely off and it's hanging at 700 degrees, should I be concerned?

My Oslo does the same thing, I think it is a bit hot but that is where it wants to stay.

700 and boiling over with flames I would be concerned. Cruising at 700 is a bit hot, but if it just simmering away I would not be to concerned. Must be heating really well!.

Soadrocks said:
So we came back this afternoon, and we had some coals leftover after 6 hours, I put in a couple medium sized splits....got it back up to 400 degrees and then I filled it up to the gills for the night. Packed it very tight. Its 1 hr later and the air is completely off and it's hanging at 700 degrees, should I be concerned?

Nope. I wouldn't fill it at 400*, but 700* is no big deal for that stove. Step 2 after shutting it down would be blowing a house fan directly at it.

Soadrocks said:

Not sure why you would bother to get it back to 400 before stocking for the night? Why not just stock it for the night at first? I also would not be concerned with 700 degrees. Over that and I'd get pretty nervous though.

Status
Not open for further replies.