2ndary Burn Tube Split in 1/2 updated w/ pictures in 1st post

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vic99

Minister of Fire
Dec 13, 2006
MA, Suburb of Lowell
I started running a Hearthstone Homestead Dec this season. Today I noticed that the front secondary burn tube split clean in half the whole length of the tube. It is still held in place by the cement or whatever on both walls of the stove. The gap is probably an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch. Maybe that's the way it's suppose to be and I never noticed, but the other two behind it are not split. Stove was running alright.

What do you reckon?

Attachments

• 000_0500.jpg
    000_0500.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 602
  • 000_0504.jpg
    000_0504.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 558
  • 000_0503.jpg
    000_0503.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 593
Either you got that thing seriously too hot or it was defective.

Well that's a consumable part, but it should last a couple years. Was the stove new when you started using it? Does it only have two months use?
A lot of tubing is made of welded sheet, presumably yours was some of this. Probably it was a bad batch from China. I work in a shipyard and lots of the material we get is from China, including metal stock and nuts and bolts. It's difficult to avoid this junk since wholesalers will source material from wherever they choose.

Warranty item unless evidence of overfiring exists. Split at the seam is likely but we'll never know why.

yeah , sounds like a seam let go, i'd bring it up with your dealer although if the unit has some time on it and is out of warranty you might have to purchase it , shouldnt be that much, still should be replaced though as you will lose some efficiency , probably not a huge loss and likley you would notice it in more residue in the flue , the split opens a larger than normal escape path , and the air will follow the path of least resistance , so likely you are losing secondary air in the other tubes due to this split opening up. i'd get it replaced fairly soon. likely not a harmful situation in the short term especially , but i'd deal with it promptly anyway.

You're good. Call your dealer.....

Limited Lifetime Coverage
· All cast iron parts – against breakage, cracking or burn-through.
· All stones – against cracking or breakage due to thermal stress, excluding surface and hairline cracks and scratches that do not affect the operation or safety of the Woodstove.
· Primary and secondary air supply systems, including riser tubes, air wash system, secondary air manifold and stainless steel secondary air supply tubes – against breakage, cracking or burn-through.
· Glass – against breakage due to thermal shock.

Sounds like defective tubing. I've seen tubes glow when stovetop temps are less than 400 on my Quad so I'm definitely not overfiring but the tubes are glowing a dull orange.

I must be blind cause I don't see any split? If your talking about on the bottom of the tube at 6 o'clock, that is the bottom of the deflector shield where it wraps around the tube.

Yes, the split is at 6 o clock . . . hadn't noticed before. If that is the way it is constructed, that is great news. Like most of you guys, I am boarderline obsessed with this stuff, so it suprised me. You call it a deflector shield, to deflect heat? the impact of logs when loading? Any other opinions.

Thanks.

My stove looks exactly like yours in the picture,that front tube holds the deflector in place, if you remove the tubes the deflector will rotate to the rear and lay down flat on top of the baffle board. That is how I vacuum on top of the baffle after I sweep the chimney.

When the stove cools off you can reach up there and wiggle that deflector to verify. My deflector is cotter pinned to the front tube. Also the baffle is cotter pinned to the middle tube in two places. Tubes seem solidly fixed in that cast iron manifold.

Stove has cooled somewhat . . .

Can't see the pins, but stove is 275 degrees right now. Only the front tube looks "split" from 1 end all the way to the other end, length wise.

I can wiggle the tube a bit back and forth with a gloved hand, but it is definitely fastened good where it meets the brackets on each end.

Doesn't look split a all to me. Looks like that piece of metal above the tube wraps around behind it. It overlaps the bottom of the tube. You are just seeing a shadow. The NorthStar and 7100 now have a very similar setup to keep the insulation blanket from bunching up in the front.

now that i see the pictures i get it , the tube is "nested" in the bracket that runs behind it , at a glance it looks like a split , but i look closely it is not the tube that makes the "split" look, but the seam behind it from the bracket , looks just fine to me

Status
Not open for further replies.