2x wood ID please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mettlemickey

Mar 5, 2014
UK, Warwickshire
WP_20150831_006.jpg WP_20150831_005.jpg Hi, got a bit of a stash for free over the summer. Two types of wood I cant identify, can anyone tell what these are?

Wood 1, easy to split. Hope its half decent as I have a lot of it.

Wood ID 2, really heavy and dense. Splits easy though. Is this actually a big root?

Many thanksWP_20150831_008.jpg WP_20150831_009.jpg WP_20150831_008.jpg WP_20150831_009.jpg

Not sure on the first one...the second one looks like some kind of fruitwood, maybe some kind of Cherry?

As a sidenote, how do you like your Dovre stove that I see you have listed? I guess the company is still going strong over there.....they were bought out here years ago and were incorporated into Quadrifire, but I see they are still alive and well over your way. I love my Aurora 700 and I bought him in 1993, still going strong!

If it has a pungent, sharp, or asprin-like scent I would say some kind of poplar or aspen. they can get that ridged bark when they mature, the pulp color and grain look correct, and they are relatively light and easy to split. That said I have no idea if they are native to your area.

First one Honey locust second I think a fruit wood of some type also- Wild Plum?

We have a 2 volume Opus on the species of trees in North America. The Silvics of North America vol #1 and 2#
Collected by various contributors over the years and compiled by the US government.
Its been a long study for me. But it would be great fun to take on another country. Do you know if Britain has a similar type of program?
It helps to start with whats in your area and work your way backwards in a process of elimination.
If you live in town and just collecting found wood, its not a productive use of time, however.
Anyway, couldnt begin to guess ...you dont have basswood..you have Lime. And wych elm, and yew. Lol. And your Holly looks nothing like our Holly.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts Wildling it does have quite a distinctive smell so perhaps your right. Ive read on here that Poplar isn't the best firewood so it will be interesting to see how well it burns. Then again, free wood is always good :)

PA Woodsman, I'm really happy with the Dovre. Its my first stove and we're heading into only our third burning season. We think it looks great with a look that's just classic enough without being too old fashioned. More importantly it kicks out some serious heat, lights easy and stays in overnight when we want it to. Dovre are owned by a company called Stovax over here. I think Stovax are British and are quite a big brand here. Good to keep the classic names alive even if they're not quite what they were.

Applesister, that sounds like an impressive compendium. I think one could spend a lifetime on something like that. I wish there was one here, maybe there is and I just haven't come across it yet!

Most members of the poplar family have much lower BTU per cord than true hardwoods, and also when left round tend to rot and get punky a lot faster than most woods. When harvested green or close to and properly split, stacked and covered it dries fast, burns quick, hot and clean. So with that in mind it can be a perfectly good fuel for the shoulder seasons, or to help get your stove going during a mid-winter restart. Just not a great wood for your main winter burning. But hey, any wood in your shed is worth more all the imaginary oak in the world!

Reactions: Mettlemickey
Status
Not open for further replies.