2x4 scraps doug fir

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike821

Nov 3, 2010
Bridgewater NJ
Guys/ladies....I have a local lumber yard who has from time to time a half pickup load of doug fir (2x4's) and some hard wood mixed in. Anyone burn scraps of doug fir? This last trip I have about a half cord of this stuff. I know...no green wood (treated) or painted stuff.

Well I'm not exactly sure if it is fir, spruce, hemlock or pine . . . but I've used dimensional lumber in the woodstove . . . mostly for kindling though . . . fantastic wood to start the fire . . . wouldn't want to load up the firebox and let it go though.

great for kindling, shoulder season and flash fires, or with hardwood splits mixed in, but as Jake says, don't load up the firebox.

Fast burning, hot fires. You can easily split short lengths of 2x4 to make kindling that lights very quickly.

I split up scrap 2x4s into small sticks and use for starting fires. Not sure I'd want a whole truck load of them but it works pretty well to get rid of leftovers from various projects.

shawneyboy said:
great for kindling, shoulder season and flash fires, or with hardwood splits mixed in, but as Jake says, don't load up the firebox.

Loading up the stove depends on two things.
1) If you pack it tight like a solid cube, then there is less air space between the wood and would act like a large Burning split.
2) The type of stove you are using. The BK and possibly the Woodstock or Country Flame CATs if they operate the same, you are able to load it any such way and still snuff the fire out with a controlled burn.

+1 Primo kindling. Also good to mix in if you have other wood you need to burn that could be drier. Sounds like the amount we're talking is not worth the risk of burning full loads anyway...

OK.....I use it for my fire pit also. I will take some and spit it for starter wood. It should get the stack up to temp real quick. As for burning it full time...naa I have a good pile of hardwood. I just can't wait until my stove is put in. Lopi Republic 1750i

Thanks guys......

I'd get the stuff. Use both as kindling and also can put a few in on any reloads which will help get the new fire going quickly.

I've pulled construction cut-offs out of dumpsters from house building.
Just gotta be careful burning it. LOts of small short fires but it's warmth.

I've got a whole bunch of cut-offs right now just from building a 3 bay garage.

I am using a lot of them right now for just kindling. I have a renovation going on in my basement, and have a ton of cut of 2X4's about 8 inches long or so....split them up with my hatchet and they are great for kindling and reloads when you just have a few coals left

Status
Not open for further replies.