3/4 by the door

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Danno77

Minister of Fire
Oct 27, 2008
Hamilton, IL
055efe65.jpg

I'm guessing that's about 3/4 of a cord by the door. As long as the rain and snow comes straight down it tends to stay dry. The only problem is that the snow does NOT tend to come straight down!
I've stacked wood here before, but this is new with the T-posts. I think this should work much better and definitely seems to hold more. Now I have something to tie a tarp to should I decide it's necessary.

Looks like a good plan.
When winter gets there, you'll be happy to have it readily accessible.
If it good & dry now, a tarp may save on wet slippery wood..
Grab that one big splinter hanging at the bottom of the 2nd from right row. Good kindling :)

The plan is to keep rolling a wheelbarrow up daily and to save the stacks by the door for the foul weather. You can't really tell by the picture, but the rest of the wood is just about 10 feet from that leftmost stack in the picture.

That's what I do.Any wood next to the house & under the bulkhead is used when its snowing or raining.Otherwise I grab from the stacks 50 ft out back near the fences on north & east.I try to keep about 2 wheelbarrows worth in the garage/shop next to me.

That's what I do.Any wood next to the house & under the bulkhead is used when its snowing or raining.Otherwise I grab from the stacks 50 ft out back near the fences on north & east.I try to keep about 2 wheelbarrows worth in the garage/shop next to me.

Danno77 said:
055efe65.jpg

I'm guessing that's about 3/4 of a cord by the door. As long as the rain and snow comes straight down it tends to stay dry. The only problem is that the snow does NOT tend to come straight down!
I've stacked wood here before, but this is new with the T-posts. I think this should work much better and definitely seems to hold more. Now I have something to tie a tarp to should I decide it's necessary.

Looks like a good plan Danno77, we have some rain with snow moving in for Wednesday so it looks like we will be pushing some wood in Tuesday night.

zap

Nice work Danno. Nice to have it that close to the door. Could you try some old plywood, luan, or any sheet material to lean up against the outside of that? Maybe even pallets, which would be cheap, and some kind of plastic to cover them, would keep those stacks a lot dryer. You know how, many times during the winter, you get some rain, snow, then it warms up and melts the snow? Gets to be a pain and can make things pretty wet. Then mabe some plastic sheeting or tarp over the top. It is nice to reach under that snow when you have a cover and pull out that dry wood. What are you using to heat with? How many cord do you go through? Is wood your primary or secondary heat source? Happy burning to you. Got a pic of the stove with a nice fire. Nothing like a pic of a nice fire. Almost as good as the real thing.

This will be fed to the new Englander 30. I dunno what I'll go through this year, but I'm guessing 5 cords. I've only really been into the pine so far, probably 1/4-1/3 of a cord of that so far. It's only supplemental to the furnace, we'll see how well it works to heat the rest of the house, my layout just is not conducive to letting this heat travel around.

I know it ain't fancy, but I have a hollow core door that I yanked out of my house and replaced with a REAL door. I plan on throwing a tarp over the whole shebang, and weighing the top down with that door. I need to mess around with it to see how hat will work. I'm guessing the tposts will be nice to attach some stuff to, but will make it hard to use tarps without tearing them. I might, just might, have a sheet of plywood or something that I can use. I need to dig around.

Status
Not open for further replies.