3-4 hour logs..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MishMouse

Minister of Fire
Jan 18, 2008
Verndale, MN
I seen these 3-4 hour logs on sale, and I am wondering if they are safe to use in a EPA wood stove?

I can't imagine they're not safe, but why spend money on those when you can throw a 6" round in the stove and get 5-6 hours?

Reactions: Kevin Dolan
If you ran out of wood or your wood is poor quality just go out and buy some wood bricks. There are many manufacturers and they are available locally at most Tractor Supply places in small packs of 6 pieces. If you need a larger quantity or need delivery they are usually sold by the people who sell large quantity of pellets.

Never heard of them, whats the name of the make? I've been using enviro-bricks (from TS) to supplement my wood supply a little this year and just throw one in every so often with some splits. They work great, put out heat, and are fine to use in an EPA stove. On a side note, it should say on the instructions if they are safe for wood stoves.

By 3-4 hour logs....are you referring to the wax logs that are normally used in fireplaces? Usually made by Duraflame and the like? If that is the case....than no its not safe.

but why spend money on those when you can throw a 6" round in the stove and get 5-6 hours?
It's been a crazy winter in the NE this year, many people I know who have always had enough wood are running low on their good seasoned stuff, I know I am. That being said, this was the first winter I decided to pick up a few cases of bricks. Spent like $40 and it's enough to get me through the winter along with the rest of my wood without giving money to the propane campany. Im sure the OP is in a similar predicament.

Yes, the one I was referring to is the Duraflame. Currently on sale at Fleet Farm. I didn't pick up any but was just wondering.

I will see if I can find any Bio-bricks in my area.

2013-2014 has been very tough on wood.
My good wood got overly soaked, typically I have about 2 cords of very dry soft wood (poplar) <10% I use that to mix in with my ~ 25% wood. Since my soft wood is paper dry it normally gets the wetter wood going, 2013 we had a very wet Fall that turned my paper dry wood into sponges.

I been asking around and almost everybody in my area is either running very low or out of wood.
Been <-20 below average for almost 3 months.
My BIL, went through 17 cords of wood running 2 stoves and was out at the beginning of Feb, in a typical winter that lasts him till May with at least 1-2 cords remaining. Myself I bought about 3 cords of wood to supplement my supply and I am still not going to make it through the year. My seasoned stuff is gone and I am working on using next years wood. Hopefully this year we will actually get a Spring so that I can catch up.

17 cords of wood! You'd need to be a full time tree guy just to get enough wood to bring home and process just for your self! What is he heating a warehouse!?!? I know I am in New England which is tropical compared to you but I'm getting sick of 2-3 fires a day in my Englander 30 with its 3.5 cuft firebox and I'm at 2.5 cords. Even with two 30's and all the windows open I don't think I could burn through 17 cords. Wow.

MishMouse, funny that you mentioned your poplar getting wet this fall. I have mentioned on here before about the same thing happening to mine this fall. I was actually using it until we had a couple weird weather events back in November where it would rain a few days and then drop in the teens. The splits turned black and simply won't burn. Never had anything like this happen before.

MishMouse, funny that you mentioned your poplar getting wet this fall. I have mentioned on here before about the same thing happening to mine this fall. I was actually using it until we had a couple weird weather events back in November where it would rain a few days and then drop in the teens. The splits turned black and simply won't burn. Never had anything like this happen before.

Hadn't thought about it, but it seems my maple may have done the same thing, both of them being a softer wood. I let the fresh rounds sit for a year and then split them in Fall and a lot of the wood is just a weird texture. None of the tree was rotten either. I've been burning maple since I can remember and never really experienced that sort of thing before.

Those Duraflame logs should not be used in your stove. All of the EPA certified stoves will tell you to use WOOD ONLY.
Those logs are made for open fireplaces, pretty much for ambiance only. I know it is hard, as I have pretty much run out of wood this year, too, but just keep stocking up for the future.
If you can get some pallets for free, you can burn them nicely.

Yes, the one I was referring to is the Duraflame. Currently on sale at Fleet Farm. I didn't pick up any but was just wondering.

I will see if I can find any Bio-bricks in my area.

2013-2014 has been very tough on wood.
My good wood got overly soaked, typically I have about 2 cords of very dry soft wood (poplar) <10% I use that to mix in with my ~ 25% wood. Since my soft wood is paper dry it normally gets the wetter wood going, 2013 we had a very wet Fall that turned my paper dry wood into sponges.

I been asking around and almost everybody in my area is either running very low or out of wood.
Been <-20 below average for almost 3 months.
My BIL, went through 17 cords of wood running 2 stoves and was out at the beginning of Feb, in a typical winter that lasts him till May with at least 1-2 cords remaining. Myself I bought about 3 cords of wood to supplement my supply and I am still not going to make it through the year. My seasoned stuff is gone and I am working on using next years wood. Hopefully this year we will actually get a Spring so that I can catch up.

Also perhaps check at Menards if you have one in your area. I just got some wood bricks there and they had a good supply at mine. They are called Green heat and sell a pack of 20 bricks for $4.99.

That is phenomenal. What is your BIL burning in? Is this for heating a big warehouse?

Yes, was a very wet windy and cold fall.
Couldn't get some of it covered and the stuff I did I couldn't keep it covered.
Wood was very dry, almost punky so it just soaked up the water like a sponge. Now I have wood that is very dry and very wet at the same time.
With rain and wind 40+ the tarps/heavy black plastic just didn't want to stay put.
Now, with over 1-2 feet of ice and snow on top of it we could get 100+ winds and it wouldn't go anywhere.

That is phenomenal. What is your BIL burning in? Is this for heating a big warehouse?

He is using 2 homemade barrel stoves.
One in the house and one in his shed (actually his shed is a larger than his house and he uses it as a shop to do small engine repair). He did make modifications to the one in his shed to allow for some secondary combustion. Not EPA stoves so they do not burn very efficient. With double digit below zero temps since the end of November it has been a very tough year.

Hopefully I will be able to find some bio type bricks at Menards.
Been checking around and I have been having a hard time trying to find it in my area.
I was even looking to try to burn dry corn cobs, but since everybody in my area has the same issue other people have already had that idea and snatched them up.

Also perhaps check at Menards if you have one in your area. I just got some wood bricks there and they had a good supply at mine. They are called Green heat and sell a pack of 20 bricks for $4.99.

Crossing my fingers, since you are from IL, hopefully the Menards in my neck of the woods will also sell them.

Crossing my fingers, since you are from IL, hopefully the Menards in my neck of the woods will also sell them.
This time of year, they might be sold out everywhere, but good luck!;)

He is using 2 homemade barrel stoves.
One in the house and one in his shed (actually his shed is a larger than his house and he uses it as a shop to do small engine repair). He did make modifications to the one in his shed to allow for some secondary combustion. Not EPA stoves so they do not burn very efficient. With double digit below zero temps since the end of November it has been a very tough year.

Hopefully I will be able to find some bio type bricks at Menards.
Been checking around and I have been having a hard time trying to find it in my area.
I was even looking to try to burn dry corn cobs, but since everybody in my area has the same issue other people have already had that idea and snatched them up.

He could probably cut that consumption in half by putting a decent stove in the house and investing a bit of time in sealing the shed. He must be heating half of the state at that rate of consumption. Glad I am not in his neighborhood. That is a lot of unnecessary pollution.

Thanks for the Menards tip, I was able to find Bio Bricks at the Menards in Baxter for 3.75 for a pack of 6 (21 pounds per pack).
I can get around 3-4 hours burn from one of them and it seems to be helping with my swampy wood. Cut a piece in the other day, outside of the wood was very dry inside was discolored and very wet. Using these Bio Bricks I was able to keep the stove going. If it wasn't well below 0::F I wouldn't even be burning, according to the forecast we should get a couple of days this week that we are actually above zero so that should help. Hopefully next year will be a La-Nia~ year so I can catch up on my wood.

There are many manufacturers and they are available locally at most Tractor Supply places in small packs of 6 pieces.
Tractor supply sells ECO bricks.

They sell a large brick 3 pack or a smaller brick 6 pack. I have burned them before (just to see how they worked). They are hard to get started if you only have them, but if you have kindling, they burn well. Very dry. Moisture meter read 7% or lower on all of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.