3/8 vs .325 pitch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grannyknot

Dec 5, 2011
East Tennessee
Thinking of converting my saw over to a 3/8 sprocket and maybe running a half skip chain to help the rpms and chip build up.
Reason being is that both my dad's 031av & my father in laws ms311 both have 3/8 pitch chains.
I cut with them quite a bit and was thinking it might be nice to have interchangeable parts (we all have 16" bars).

Any reason I shouldn't attempt this for pure convenience?

.325 is close to .375LowPro. Standard 3/8 is quite a big jump. Can you find a bar and a drive sproket for that chain to fit you saw?

Don't do it.

Your Stihl 024 is a 41cc saw, which is underpowered for regular 3/8" pitch. Stick with .325 pitch (or whatever came on the saw).

Also, are you sure that the bar mount pattern is the same between your saw and the larger saws? Check it.

I'd stick with the .325 on the 024 but with a 3/8" sprocket and bar, you should be good to go if you want to try it. Expensive experiment tho. I'd buy the sprocket and mount the bar & chain from the MS310 to give it a whirl.

I'd stay .325 or 3/8LP
Just had an 026, 16 inch, 3/8 full comp and it was working in 12 inch wood. Takes a light hand.
My .325 20 inch cuts better and holds rpm better.

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Sounds like I'm better off saving my money for a ms391.

Grannyknot said:
Thanks for the advice everyone.
Sounds like I'm better off saving my money for a ms391.

311,391 pretty close on everything. Wait til you wear out your .325 then change it!

Anyone have opinions on doing this with a ms290? Seems the power is there. 3/8 chain is cheaper, and it spits out mulch, versus the .325 shavings.

Ive thought about it often, but still have a few good .325s left.

Stump_Branch said:
Anyone have opinions on doing this with a ms290? Seems the power is there. 3/8 chain is cheaper, and it spits out mulch, versus the .325 shavings.

.325 is easier to pull, keep that in mind.

Stump_Branch said:

Done it. Stick with the .325.

Status
Not open for further replies.