3 Bags a day?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GenghisJon said:
OK, so we had the coldest day/night so far in CT.

Went thru 3 bags in a 24 hour period, is that to be expected?

I was using 2 brands I bought from Home Depot.

2 Bags of Fireside Ultra, 1 bag of Tomorrow's heat(I think it's called)

The Tomorrow's heat I filled up at 11PM and by 7AM it was all burned through.

Is this to be expected or am I just using the wrong pellets?

Thanks for your help.

PS

I have a Quad cb1200i

I don't know about the tomorrows heat, but the fireside ultras were some of the best pellets I've burned, as they worked great for me. I wish the HD in my area was carrying them, as I would definately buy them again. Personally, I don't think the pellets are a problem at all, but every stove/setup is different and what works good for one person may not work good for another.

When temps were in the single digits, I used just over a bag a day. Remember, I have a small stove that, on it's highest setting goes through 60 pounds in 24 hours. I'm only heating 1200 square feet....and only really care about the family room.

Chan

Sawduster said:
Using 3 bags a day when it is as cold as it is right now is completely normal, despite what some might tell you here. I have to laugh when someone posts that they are heating 2000 square feet on a bag and a half when it is minus 10.

I heat my house with a quad sante fe and it was -50 celcius for 3 days and I used about 2 bags a day on medium. 1300 square feet upstairs and down. -20 celcius and warmer Im about a bag a day. Insulation Insulation Insulation.

Insulation Insulation Insulation

There are posters here that say insulation makes no difference, every one has uninsulated and drafty homes like theirs.

slls said:
Insulation Insulation Insulation

There are posters here that say insulation makes no difference, every one has uninsulated and drafty homes like theirs.

I haven`t read that but most homes just don`t happen to be super insulated. I would have to think most aren`t drafty either. The majority of homes probably fall somewhere between super insulated and drafty .
Mine was built for electric heat in 1970 and is reasonably tight but there is only 15 " of insulation in the attic and 3.5" in the 2X4 walls. I have more in the new addition . Newer thermopane glass all over .

i used about 1 1/2 bags a day tues wed . my house is at 73 to 75 degrees . that is with bayou pellets .i think it depends on your house. i got a small one 1150sq ft . also you might have high ceilings with large rooms .my buddy burns 3 bags a day when its in the 30's. his house is a mansion and im still cold when i visit .

Status
Not open for further replies.