3 days without a fire now

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
The last three days have been lovely and we have not needed a fire at all.

Yesterday was pretty warm (upper 70's F ) and I even considered the AC for a while last eavening but just opened the windows and ran the Air handler fans for an hour or so to pull in the cool eavening air.

Today is cloudy with the possibility of showers later.

Next week is Sketchy at this point with rain by mid week. May need a spot fire to take the chill off

Was lovely last night with the bedroom window open.

Stove season is coming to a close for yet another year.

Snowy

Got up feeling good this morning, Revolution hadn't kicked on all night, first time, mentioned it to the wife over coffee (5 AM), wasn't 30 seconds later I heard the supply fan come on. Maybe next week.

T
Snowy Rivers said:
The last three days have been lovely and we have not needed a fire at all.

Yesterday was pretty warm (upper 70's F ) and I even considered the AC for a while last eavening but just opened the windows and ran the Air handler fans for an hour or so to pull in the cool eavening air.

Today is cloudy with the possibility of showers later.

Next week is Sketchy at this point with rain by mid week. May need a spot fire to take the chill off

Was lovely last night with the bedroom window open.

Stove season is coming to a close for yet another year.

Snowy

Hi Snowy

Same here.
Did u modify your Burn pot to do the nut thing?

Yes, two changes to the pot on the Advantage 2T

I added a stainless filler plate with rows of small air holes to kep the shells from falling through the grate
Added a little steel bar in the pot that aligns with the center of the drop tube.

The bar scatters the shell pieces over the fire, otherwise the stuff just falls into a pile in the middle of the pot and builds up a little CONE.

Over a few hours the pile of shells will just char and continue to gather in size.

The "scatter bar" works fairly well to Help eliminate the issue.

Not perfect but quite workable.

(Two Piccys posted)
Since this piccy was taken I have replaced the little small square plate that the bar is bolted to, with a piece that goes the full width of the fire tray to stop shells from flying out into the surrounding part of the firebox.

During cleaning I found that there was more shells laying unburned in the front of the firebox than was acceptable.

Now with the new piece bolted in, this is eliminated.

The shells slide down the chute, hit the bar and scatter over the pot area. With the lengthened front "Backstop" at times the material hits the plate, then falls back onto the fire.

Usually the Advantage can go all day without my having to stir the pot.

I keep the airflow cranked up a bit (draft rod pulled out about 1/2" from the stop)

I can only make this adjustment after the fire has burned for a hour or so and has established a good bed of coals.

A fresh clean fire pot will burn almost all the shell material between feed cycles on the low setting if I give it too much air right off.

After the hour run time, there is enough coals though to keep the fire active.

I only run the stove on the LOW setting with shells.

This is a 2 second feed and a 7 second burn cycle.
Number 2 setting is 2 on and 5 off and will build more fire than I want for long term burning.

The stove runs hot enough that even on low the stack stays plenty hot so as to not accumulate burnable condensate in the outer end of the pipe.

The little Prodigy is slightly different.

The burn pot is built a tad different and required a slightly different scatter bar to do the job.

A similar idea, but different shape is all.

The first Piccy is the Advantage 2T

The second Piccy is the Prodigy under fire

Snowy

Attachments

• Fire pot2.jpg
    Fire pot2.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 266
  • scatter nub.jpg
    scatter nub.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 271
Took a while to get it all sorted out, but it works pretty well.

Snowy

Crazy weather for sure. Two days I was freezing
and had the heat on in the house. Yesterday
was riding around in the Jeep with the AC on.
Started doing the season shut down on the stove.
So far emptied and cleaned out the hopper and
disconnected the outside air intake at the stove
end and blocked it off outside. Next up to clean
the exhaust vent, blowers, and inside of stove
then all done til next season.

Sunday was nice but turned off wet in the eavening. Monday was nice, yesterday was warm but got wet late last night.

This morning is just a steady rain, not real cold but needed a spot fire to take the chill of a bit.

Supposed to be cool and wet through the weekend.

Fire season is definately not gone yet for sure.

I sure hope that we get some nice weather soon.

two days of 70's and dry, followed by 5 days of wet and cool sucks.

I am ready to get along with summer.

Snowy

Xena said:
Crazy weather for sure. Two days I was freezing
and had the heat on in the house. Yesterday
was riding around in the Jeep with the AC on.
Started doing the season shut down on the stove.
So far emptied and cleaned out the hopper and
disconnected the outside air intake at the stove
end and blocked it off outside. Next up to clean
the exhaust vent, blowers, and inside of stove
then all done til next season.

Xena. 4lb 2oz largemouth about a week ago!

Those three days without a fire were nice, but of late its been fire time again.

We have not had to run a stove around the clock as the temps have been reasonably moderate.

Eavenings and early mornings have seen the Quad come on a couple times each of the last several days.

Today is cool to start with yet another rain storm heaing in off the pacific with more wet to follow over the weekend.

Just not quite done with the stoves yet.

The large Whit. has not been fired in several weeks now and likely will not be used again until fall.

Such is the life of stove people.

Snowy

Status
Not open for further replies.