3 Elbows or ...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

velvetfoot

Minister of Fire
Dec 5, 2005
Sand Lake, NY
maybe one elbow and tell 45s to tie into the chimney? It's a short run, less than 10 feet, and I'd like to to clear the indirect water heater. What do you think?

The less 90* ells the better in a stack of any kind.
If you have to go vertical use a tee with a cap at the bottom for a cleanout.

Thanks for replying. This is stove pipe for a (projected) wood boiler. The exit from the boiler is 43" from the bottom of the unit. It occurred to me that having that heater there won't exactly make my life easier when it comes to cleaning the (8" DuraTech) chimney. I have both this indirect and an electric water heater in the bump out in the foundation wall where the chase is located. Anyway, I think I'll be moving both Then the pipe will come straight out, turn up, and tie in to the chimney. Thanks for the tip about the cleanout. I wonder how that'll jive with a draft inducer and if a barometric damper, or even another damper will get involved. Then, whether or not to get double wall pipe for this short run (I'm thinking not). I'm sure I'll get some good advice from the seller.

What boiler are you going with?

Why a draft inducer? Basement wall bump out - does that mean you have an external chimney chase?

Why a baro damper or regular damper?

Just curious, because I am still collecting ideas for my Empyre 100 install.....sometime before next season.

FWIW - with my new gasser, I didn't even have to clean my chimney when I checked it in October after 1 full year of use. Quite a change from 3 or 4 times a year cleanings.

You will get ash out though. So if you use a T on the bottom of your chimney for a cleanout point - make it easy to get to & clean out, since the ash will likely settle in the T at the bottom. That will likely become your only chimney cleaning exercise - uncover the bottom of the T, let the ash fall out (big ash cloud potential there), re-cover. And you might even avoid that by putting a barometric damper just downstream of the T, towards the boiler. With a decent shop vac & the right kind of hose attached to it, you might be able to get the hose fished in through the baro damper opening and manouvered over & down into the bottom of the cleanout T & suck the ash out - thereby cleaning your chimney without taking anything apart. Then if you pull the hose back out & get it manouvered back in going the other way, toward the boiler, you can get the ash laying in the horizontal run of smoke pipe too. I did all that back in January - about due to do it again.

Reactions: velvetfoot
What boiler are you going with?
Vigas 40

Why a draft inducer?
Less smoke. Also, when things get totally cold I get a downdraft.

Basement wall bump out - does that mean you have an external chimney chase?
Yes

Why a baro damper or regular damper?
Not sure. My oil boiler has a baro damper. More research required.

Just curious, because I am still collecting ideas for my Empyre 100 install.....sometime before next season.

I'm contemplating a draft inducer too. Feel free to toss out your favorite one & why, LOL.

I get ok draft when the pipe is cold with my current Englander. Once the Empyre (forced draft fan) is hooked up, that may change due to the more restrictive flue gas path. I also do not want any rollout and think an inducer would be better than a smoke hood, fan & more ductwork.

Believe it or not, I'm now gravitating towards a pellet boiler.

I believe it. :)

It can indeed be quite a decision to make - and from all your posts I was thinking your situation has you right on the tipping point of either choice on a few fronts.

I will be sure to be watching for your outcome - and good luck.

Can you believe...I'm now talking to the chimney guy about putting in a wrapped 6" liner into a brand new 8" flue. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.