3 habitable planets discovered, anyone ready to go?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Astronomers found a solar system similar to ours
3 habitable planets, possible ET life.
More

Reactions: DevilsBrew
Better pack a lunch for that trip. Even in an FTL spaceship, it could take awhile at WORP-4 (whatever that is) LOL.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Not ready to go, but I can think of a group of congresspeople I would like to send there.

Reactions: Backwoods Savage
Congresspeople? Politically correct I guess. ;lol

When I was in the oil patch
Our T-shirts :
drill.jpg

Reactions: ScotO
Is there fire there? If not I'll stay here.

For 22 light years away, you have to travel real fast to get there. With time dilation, you can expect your wood stacks to be REALLY dry when you get back to earth. We'll be very old or long gone, too. No thanks (no Dairy Queen there).

Deep space travel... is not gonna happen. The massive amounts of energy required to accelerate to a reasonable speed to cross deep space is simply not available. No amount of cord wood will get us there, no matter how much Scotty cuts and seasons. Never mind surviving for several hundred years in deep space. Also there is no guarantee of an atmosphere there that we could breathe, or any water there, or an atmospheric pressure that we could survive in, or has a temperature range that we could survive in, or an electromagnetic radiation field shielding their Sun there like the Earth does here, or that there is not some type of hostile life that would wipe us out on contact.

Basically we have it made here, but we are completely destroying this place.

Gotta have a plan B, I guess.

As much as I am for science, I don't really see the point in focusing all that brainpower on celestial bodies that are impossibly far away and will never have any impact on anyone's life, ever. Put those smart people to work on something a little more practical. There's a lot of intellectual HP going to waste on this stuff, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.