3 + hours logged on my new Honda EM6500 SX Generator

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We aren't really rich by any means. We have flooded out several times over the years and it is such a nightmare. July 2011, we had 7 inches of rain in 4 hours. My parents had to drive 1.5 hours to bring their generator and pump out our basement right before we lost a 2 year old h.e. furnace, water heater, and washer dryer among other things. State farm ended up cutting us a check for $23,000 for the structural and contents damage. We had enough left to finish a bathroom upstairs and buy a Generac as well as do some concrete work to modify our foundation wall....long story, not worth mentioning. I also put that Woodstock gas stove into the basement in 2011 partly as a back-up as earlier in 2011, the blizzard killed our power and had me panicked about frozen pipes although the power came on eventually. I never want to be without a option for heat...even if the Generac failed.
Wow, you are a "poster child" for preparedness. It's so well worth the cost when you need it that bad. I'm in an area that has had catastrophic floods in recent years, too, and it can be a true disaster. (I'm not in a high risk area, fortunately). All I need do worry about is maybe a week of no power (fingers crossed), so I consider ourselves pretty lucky.

Wow, you are a "poster child" for preparedness. It's so well worth the cost when you need it that bad. I'm in an area that has had catastrophic floods in recent years, too, and it can be a true disaster. (I'm not in a high risk area, fortunately). All I need do worry about is maybe a week of no power (fingers crossed), so I consider ourselves pretty lucky.

I am not as good as I'd like. We don't have enough food, medical supplies, etc as we would need in a major disaster. There were so many people in Sandy that had nothing ready. I don't want to be one of them.

I am not as good as I'd like. We don't have enough food, medical supplies, etc as we would need in a major disaster. There were so many people in Sandy that had nothing ready. I don't want to be one of them.
Where are you? Is that Sandy, Or? I used to be in Portland and know of the problems around the Sandy River. Our problem is the Chehalis River.

Lots of good preparedness and survival sites on the net if you haven't looked into them.

Where are you? Is that Sandy, Or? I used to be in Portland and know of the problems around the Sandy River. Our problem is the Chehalis River.

Lots of good preparedness and survival sites on the net if you haven't looked into them.

No...I was implying that Hurricane Sandy was a recent reminder of the need for preparation. All those people without food and gas.

No...I was implying that Hurricane Sandy was a recent reminder of the need for preparation. All those people without food and gas.
Oh, Hurricane Sandy. Sorry. Yes, it has been a reminder. I've seen the news about all the lines for gas and such. I've been in outages that shut down gas stations for miles. It's not pretty. Which is why I've got about 55 gallons of gas now between two full cars and several containers.

Oh, Hurricane Sandy. Sorry. Yes, it has been a reminder. I've seen the news about all the lines for gas and such. I've been in outages that shut down gas stations for miles. It's not pretty. Which is why I've got about 55 gallons of gas now between two full cars and several containers.

That's smart. I know some people keep drums. That makes me a little nervous to have that much explosive stored in one container.

That's smart. I know some people keep drums. That makes me a little nervous to have that much explosive stored in one container.
It is important to keep stored gas fresh, though, by using it frequently enough. Six months should be okay usually, depending on how much air it's exposed to (oxidation) and temp. Stabil is okay, but even that only gives you an extra 6 months or so safely. I just overhauled a Harley carburetor that had gas in it for several years. The jets were completely clogged and a lot of varnish build-up on the surfaces. It wouldn't start for some reason...

Some thoughts: If you only are concerned about the essentials like fridge/freezer, some lights, computer, TV, etc, then a small gen is perfectly adequate. Like many others, I have a Honda 2000i inverter gen (actually 1600 watts continuous) which is great. It sips gas, starts right away, is quiet for a generator, and has enough power for those items, (although maybe not everything at once, depending). It's enough for many if not most furnace fans depending on size, you have to look at the surge requirements. There are other ones like Yamaha's. I am on a well with a submersible pump that takes a large surge, so I have about 135 gallons of water stored also. We have to be careful with water in an emergency. I just can't justify a big generator just to run a pump occasionally. Any water suggestions would be appreciated.

Those cheaper generators like the 2-stroke one from HF would be risky to use for sensitive items like electronics. The inverter types give you a nice clean regulated waveform, but you do pay for that.

I keep about 17 gallons of gas in containers, and I keep my two cars full of gas, which can be syphoned if necessary, plus another 5 in a mower. I don't worry about using Stabil because after a few months, I'll rotate all that gas through the cars and burn it anyway, so it all keeps fresh.

Whatever you do, DON'T backfeed a generator into the house. I know, it seems like common sense, but it happens. If you have a large enough generator to partly power the house, it's a good idea to have a transfer switch installed. If you're really rich, get a whole house propane generator with an automatic transfer switch. Now that's the ticket. Edit: Yeah, like Firecracker's...
Good quote about the cheep generators, they can be harmful to electronics with there voltage variances.
better to spend a little extra to protect the big screens and computers...

Also about gas and stabilizers, If you want to leave the fuel in your gas powered gen. or any tank long term. Most marina gas is now non meth, eth or alcohol added, or they have it as a option, it may cost a buck + more a gallon but I've had it in mine for 1 1/2 yrs. now and prior to Sandy, I took a sample from the carb bowl drain, looked and smelled fine, no tarnish and fired right up. I will drain it in the spring though and burn in the garden tractor.

Me, as for gas, I always have at least 10 gallons on hands. And the gas station down the road is own buy a guy who owns the dock terminals tank, and he is also a disttibutors for small stations within 100 miles. And the do have a genny for the regular and 1 diesel pump when power is out. So I think gas won't be an issue for while in case of a major outage ( wich haven't happen in 30+ years). And I have 2 gennys. 1 champion 3000/4000 watt and got a deal on a used odd brand genny http://www.energplus.com/products/p...prod_specs&catID=80&subcatID=795&prodID=78724

Never heard of the brand bedore but it's got a yamaha engine.

Eventually I would love to build myself a diesel genset with a old lister type engine..... But that's another story.

As far as water goes, I have a surface well. I bought a 12v rv pump to put in as a back up, but havn't had the time to set it up yet.

A three way switch is a must have. The power companies will spend time trying to figure out who is energizing the line, instead of fixing downed lines. Or as pointed out in another post, in this thread, or they will short out the lines and fry the source.

Been thinking about getting a small 2000 watt generator for it's ability to sip fuel, run the fans on my insert and a few other low watt items like a TV with DVD player and a couple of lights. In reading some other generator related posts here, it seems I could get a Harbor Freight model for cheap money. Most have said they work pretty well and they're in the very affordable $100.00 range.

The manual for that Harbor Freight 800/900W genny states that it is NOT intended to be used with sensitive electronics. If you wanted to use it for such, I would get an UPS that conditions/filters the power to protect your entertainment equipment.

Thanks MM: I appreciate that bit of information. I am also considering a Ryobi i2000 inverter generator as I had the opportunity to use one for several days during last October's nor'easter when we lost power for close to 6 days. It was very economical on fuel and powered the blower fans for my insert as well as a few lights and the TV so we could watch DVD's. It costs about $500.00 but would definitely save a bunch of fuel during an extended power outage. It would be the go to generator for the better part of the day as opposed to using my big EM6500SX that powers most of the house but is needed especially for my well pump. I could get away with running the i2000 for most of the day and save a bunch of fuel for when the family is home and power requirements are much greater.

So far so good! Nice to have back up power when the grid goes down. When we lose power it is usually for several days at a time. Feel like I hit the jackpot with this generator. 95% of what I need powered is handled by this generator. All the important stuff plus a few extra circuits that make a huge difference.

I am considering the same generator for home back up as well. I am wondering if you have experienced any issues since you posted this a few years ago with dirty power effecting sensitive electronics. I am worried that if I get the EM model that dirty power will fry computers in newer appliances down the road. Also, did you consider the EG 6500 when looking? And if so why did you go with the EM series.

Thanks for any help

Status
Not open for further replies.