3 or 4 Inch Horizontal Vent?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

patrickcote

Jul 25, 2008
Central ME
I purchased and Enviro Empress that has a 3 inch vent outlet.

My plan is to use a 3 to 4" adapter then go a 4" direct horizontal vent.

There are two reasons for doing this:
1) The place where I bought the stove threw in some 4" pipe and termination for no charge. (new Simpson Dura Vent)
2) I want to have the option to add exterior vertical in the future if I have problems with venting or soot build-up on the house this year.

So, my question is:
Is there a difference in how a 4" horizontal set up with vent compared to a 3"? Any warnings or potential pitfalls that I should be aware of.

I am new to this forum, but enjoy it a lot and did search as much as possible on the forum and through google before asking this question, but I do apologize if it has already been answered somewhere.

What is the length of the 4" horizontal run you will be doing?

I am not sure I know what you are trying to get across in you #2 line.
"I want to have the option to add exterior vertical in the future if I have problems with venting or soot build-up on the house this year."
There should be no soot build up or venting issues on a short horizontal run unless you burn bad pellets. The only reason for a 3' vertical rise is to create a natural draft if the stove dies.

Eric
330-876-0200

Status
Not open for further replies.