3 Point Winch

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bpirger

Minister of Fire
May 23, 2010
Ithaca NY Area
I'm thinking of buying a 3PT winch for my Zetor 5245. I've never used a winch before, but I've read they are the bees-knees for pulling wood out of the forest.

I have a few questions:

1. Is the primary safety issue the cable snapping? With the integral blade down, and the size of the Zetor, I assume it will be quite difficult to flip the tractor over.
2. Does the cable "free wheel" out, i.e. I pull it out into the woods and hook up?
3. Do folks use a "skidding cone" on the butt end of the log, or is it not necessary given the 5' height (or so) of the cable attachment on the winch?
4. I assume maintenance would be lubing the bearings/clutch and that's about it? The cable will last many years under normal "homeowner" use? And the clutch?
5. Are used winches a good idea, or does the clutch take quite a beating?
6. Finally, any particular brands to buy or avoid?

Thanks!

Without a doubt the bees-knees, but there are lots of safety issues with that much force and mass moving. I bet you could easily roll your tractor with one of the bigger winches and not winching straight. The winch can pull the tractor backwards unless or until the skid plate bites. The clutch can get stuck and not release when you want/need it to. If a tree gets stuck on a stump, it can stand right up in the air and then kick out. All good reasons to keep people away from the action.

The cable free wheels but is still heavy especially after you've hauled it out a bunch of times.

The problem with the used winches is the price attached to them. They seem to really hold their value. Get a big one if you intend to be pulling trees out of those Ithaca gorges.

I have a friend in Moravia with the big Farmi and a bigger 4WD utility tractor. If you queue up the trees, it might be easier/less expensive to pay him to do it instead of buying your own. If you are interested, PM me and I'll get you his contact info.

if you drape a heavy blanket about midway across the cable, it will absorb the energy from the cable if it breaks (or so i hear).

Hi -

The “skidding cone” issue: If in rooty, or rocky areas a skidding cone can be made from a used pool filter, the kind they put sand in. A pool store usualy discards old ones and you can dump the contents and cut the mouth end out, then drill or cut an opening for the cable to pass though.

Most equipment should have cables sized to stall under load before breaking IF the cable is in good repair. Replace as required. We used dozers with 3/4" cables to pull serious logs out when cutting timber for swamills on steep/rough ground. They do work.

ATB,
Mike

A tough rubber/plastic garbage can works as well.
Joe

Thanks for the replies! I've heard about draping a chain over the winch line to help absorb the energy....but it seems perhaps that this wouldn't actually ever be done religiously. I've never had a rope/cable break in any other pulling activity...and I really don't want to be around one.

What the heck do you do if the clutch sticks and doesn't disengage? WOW....I can imagine a few moments of excitement.

One more question....just how much tree can one expect to pull out? Obviously there are a hundred variables here....but if I dropped a 14" at the butt tree that's 70' tall, can I expect to pull the whole thing (top and all) toward my logging road...assuming flat ground, no stumps in the way, etc. Seems like a wonderful way to work from a landing. WOw, what a concept as opposed to blocking and carrying (or tossing) each piece through the woods.

And I assume winter cutting and skidding goes a whole lot nicer, on the land and chain, as long as one can get the tractor through the snow OK? 4WD and chains....

The winch stops when the cable is all the way back one way or the other. If you are choked up on the tree, that meant the tree just went past the winch and through the area occupied by the tractor. In my case, it glanced off the rear tire on the other side from where I was. After that, I made sure that the chain got moved to the butt end as soon as possible long before it got near the tractor even if it meant another trip over the bank.

You should be able to pull 3 or 4 14" trees at a time with a decent winch. You will be able to winch a much bigger tree than that up and over a bank without a problem. The issue then becomes how much you can skid at a time and keep your front wheels on the ground enough to steer.

I think the best time for this is after the ground is frozen but before the snow has piled up. Those 10-20 degree overcast days with little snow pack are perfect.

I picked one up at an auction cheap cause noone knew what it was. I was going to just resell it but thought I'd try it out. No way would I sell it now. I skid all my trees out to a landing now. I drop them and cut the real small branches and pull them out. depending on the size of the crown I sometimes have to cut big branches because of width. I sometimes just cut part way through so they fold in. I can haul 4 or more trees depending on size. You know when you have to much when you have to steer the 4-wheel tractor with the brakes as the front end is up in the air. YES you can flip the tractor. ALWAYS pull straight back as just alittle side pull can tip them over real fast. I've found it helps to have the bucket low and full of wood also for balance.
I have alot of wet ground also and it really works great getting the trees out of the wet spots. I don't see how the clutch could stick but I guess any thing is posible. I have a guard on mine and work behind that or off to the side but you do want to know how hard you are pulling and know where the cable is. The cable does free spool but gets heavy after a few pulls and sometimes it will get bound up after a hard pull and you need to hook it to a tree and pull it loose.
They really work well on making trees fall where you want them and to pull out hung up ones. If you get stuck you can hook a tree and pull yourself out. I could go on and on. Great tool.
leaddog

Thanks guys....it is very clear that one has to be in my future. First I need to get the Garn up and burning. Sure sounds like the speed of collection is going to take a huge boost!

FLINT said:
if you drape a heavy blanket about midway across the cable, it will absorb the energy from the cable if it breaks (or so i hear).

The blanket doesn't really absorb energy. The weight of the blanket is supposed to make the broken cable hit the ground rather than fly through the air. Hopefully, something on the ground will stop it before it gets to you.

bpirger said:
Thanks guys....it is very clear that one has to be in my future. First I need to get the Garn up and burning. Sure sounds like the speed of collection is going to take a huge boost!

I'm not sure that I save time with the farmi but it does make it easier. I can then also work on the logs at my convenience and be up at the house in case I have someone cumming or need to be around. I also try and get the trees cut and up when there is a light snow so it keeps the logs clean and then I can cut and split even for a few minutes if I want.
leaddog

Status
Not open for further replies.