3 questions about clearance to combustibles

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
1. All of the CTC diagrams I have seen for stoves show installations parallel to walls, or in corners, or in alcoves. But what if the installation is not any of these? For example, suppose you are installing a stove near a wall, but you turn the stove so that it is not parallel to the wall. Now how do you determine or measure CTC?

2. At https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/wood_stove_clearances_installing_it_safely it says, "Keep in mind that certain "safe" temperatures can still cause certain finishes and paints to fail and/or woods and other soft materials to warp or buckle." What does it mean by "certain finishes and paints"? How likely is typical flat wall paint to be adversely affected (or discolored) by stoves placed at the minimum allowable distance?

3. The same article also says, "While older stoves needed as much as 36", newer stoves can be put as close as 6" to combustible walls with no additional protection needed. This is accomplished by the use of built-in heat shields and combustion designs which project the majority of the stoves heat away from the rear and side walls." Which stoves have a 6" CTC without any additional heat shield construction necessary?

1 they all list fromt back and side clearance as well as corner and that is what you need no matter what position it is in
2 regular paint should be on but it might discolor a little
3 you need to go wit hthe clearances listed on the ul tag. if there is no ul tag it is 36". Many times clearances can be reduced with proper shielding as well

Lots of stoves have very close clearances. The hearthstone heritage and Mansfield have 8-9" clearance, Lopi Endeavor is 6" I believe. These are a few that come to mind. Almost all are now under 12" to the back of the stove.

Lots of stoves have very close clearances. The hearthstone heritage and Mansfield have 8-9" clearance, Lopi Endeavor is 6" I believe. These are a few that come to mind. Almost all are now under 12" to the back of the stove.

Endeavor is actually 4.25"

We really needed this as well... it definitely narrowed the stove choices when we replaced the old smoke dragon that was definitely not installed to code. We have been happy with the Endeavor though.

Endeavor is actually 4.25"

We really needed this as well... it definitely narrowed the stove choices when we replaced the old smoke dragon that was definitely not installed to code. We have been happy with the Endeavor though.
Cool, I couldn't remember if it was the 1250 or the endeavor that was 4.25". That's close!

Status
Not open for further replies.