3 screws per pipe connection, is it code?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sksmass

Dec 21, 2009
Western MA
Can someone clarify for me whether 3 screws per connection is in the code or whether it is just a smart thing to do?
If it is code, where will I find it in the code?

I thought it was code . . . but if it isn't it probably should be . . . a very smart, cheap and easy thing to do to stay safe.

I honestly only have screws at the stove adapter itself. I have thought about putting screws elsewheres, But my stove pipe run is so short and convoluted, I don't think it could come apart accidently. In fact, it almost can't be taken apart on purpose. Took 15 minutes the other day when I cleaned my chimney, JUST to get those two elbows out. Is very tight.

EDIT: Please don't stone me, I know it should be screwed together and will do it soon. :roll:

I think it is code, but code or not, run the 3 in there. If you have ever experienced a flashback, you will know why. You will be VERY thankful that every precaution taken to add to the soundness of the install was taken. Trust me. I thought my stove was going to end up in the basement.

OK, let's try looking at it the other way. If you have the screws in there, and had to get them out for 'cleaning' purposes. it would only take about 1.5 seconds each, with a cordless drill and 1/4 drive adapter. Is this really that much hastle? Better safe than sorry.

Jags said:
I think it is code, but code or not, run the 3 in there. If you have ever experienced a flashback, you will know why. You will be VERY thankful that every precaution taken to add to the soundness of the install was taken. Trust me. I thought my stove was going to end up in the basement.

Jags, you had the floor collaps out from under your stove? Was it hot at the time?

fishinpa said:
Jags said:

Jags, you had the floor collaps out from under your stove? Was it hot at the time?

No-no. At the very beginning of my current stove, I was having a pressure inversion problem (since cured by adding a 2ft section of pipe). On rare occasion I was having difficulty in getting the stove lit - so I did the same thing every genius would do, and opened the ash pan door for some more air. Flames improved, started to light good, closed door, air inversion (stack not hot enough) and BOOM, flash back. Thought it was gonna blow the damn stove into the basement.

That is why you will see me advocate NO ASH PAN DOOR FOR STARTUP and MAKE THE INSTALL AS SAFE AND SOUND AS REASONABLY POSSIBLE. Sorry for the yelling but I want that message to stand out.

4 screws was the manufacturers recommendation. I heard the Installers talking about it, and one said to the other, "some folks put 3 screws and they can get away with that, but I like to put all four."

Don't know what "code" is, but I like the fact that my Installers didn't take any shortcuts.

-Soupy1957

Jags said:
fishinpa said:
Jags said:

No-no. At the very beginning of my current stove, I was having a pressure inversion problem (since cured by adding a 2ft section of pipe). On rare occasion I was having difficulty in getting the stove lit - so I did the same thing every genius would do, and opened the ash pan door for some more air. Flames improved, started to light good, closed door, air inversion (stack not hot enough) and BOOM, flash back. Thought it was gonna blow the damn stove into the basement.

That is why you will see me advocate NO ASH PAN DOOR FOR STARTUP and MAKE THE INSTALL AS SAFE AND SOUND AS REASONABLY POSSIBLE. Sorry for the yelling but I want that message to stand out.

Ok, thanks for clarifying, I was thinking 'Cheech & Chong" flaskback... (didn't mean to hijack the thread)

sksmass said:
Can someone clarify for me whether 3 screws per connection is in the code or whether it is just a smart thing to do?
If it is code, where will I find it in the code?

Code? Smart thing? Don't know. It just gets done.

If the manual doesn't state it, then I'd go with 3. Everything I've found referencing stove pipe says 3 screws. If the manual says 4, then do 4!

I just installed 6 inch double wall pipe with one 90 at the top. Most of the pipe was already drilled for 3 screws. I actually added a fourth screw into my 90 as I wanted to make sure all stayed together as mentioned earlier, flash back. Screws are cheaper than a new house ;-)

Adios Pantalones said:
3 pieces of chewing gum.

ahhh Spearmint..

way better than that foofoo potpourri stuff she wants...

:lol:

My own feeling . . .

Handful of screws to secure stove pipe: $2.87
Cordless drill with bit: $26.74
Multi-head screwdriver: $3.33

Peace of mind knowing that you will not wake up some night to find your house full of smoke . . . or worse yet . . . your house full of flames: priceless.

For everyone else . . . there is fire insurance.

3 screws is the code minimum for single wall vent connector

If you're using something other than single wall, it's dictated by the manufacturer's instructions.

Status
Not open for further replies.