3 sided wood burner

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mattr123

Jun 12, 2023
New Jersey
I'm looking for a three sided wood-burning fireplace, with a guillatine door, they sell them all over Europe. I find manufactures from Norway, Denmark, France, etc. I can't seem to find them here in the US, except for ambience and they won $16,000 the European models appear to be around 4 to 6000 who knows where I can purchase an imported European model, or how I can import a European model myself, I am a contractor and will be installing this myself in my own home. Thanks for your help.

I'm looking for a three sided wood-burning fireplace, with a guillatine door, they sell them all over Europe. I find manufactures from Norway, Denmark, France, etc. I can't seem to find them here in the US, except for ambience and they won $16,000 the European models appear to be around 4 to 6000 who knows where I can purchase an imported European model, or how I can import a European model myself, I am a contractor and will be installing this myself in my own home. Thanks for your help.
There is no way to legally import them they don't have the required listing or certifications to be sold or installed in the usa

Hey bholler, would be possible to install one to the old 36/18 inch clearance requirements used by pre-UL appliances?

Hey bholler, would be possible to install one to the old 36/18 inch clearance requirements used by pre-UL appliances?
Technically no according to mechanical code all new installs need to be ul listed appliances

Reactions: Ashful
Finding a good, wood-burning, peninsula fireplace will be a challenge in the US. Have you looked at the Rais Visio-3?
There is also the Superior WRT40PF
I don't know if the Merit Series CPF-38 is still sold. It might also be listed as the Astria Monterey?

Thank you all!
RAIS lost epa certification due to paperwork,
Last time I checked this was still America,
I'll do what I want in my own home,
It's easy to have clearance and 10" class A pipe and double layers of x type Sheetrock and fire stops.

Of course you're free to do what you want in your own home. This has nothing to do with freedom.

Your insurance provider is also free to deny any claim resulting from fire, in a home with a non-compliant woodburner.

Don't confuse freedom with compliance to the conditions of your homeowner's insurance. Also, don't confuse it with any other liability arising from any accident arising from your choice to deviate from code or manufacturer approved installations, such as accidental death of anyone occupying the structure at the time of incident, or other related damages. You are free to do what you want, and also free to incur the full responsibility for your actions. Freedom works both ways.

Reactions: SpaceBus
I know insurance and liability,
Doesn't mean it's not disgusting that because of bureaucracy I can't buy a European certified fireplace here which has higher standards.
It is bad .

Last edited by a moderator:
Just put your mask on and don't ask questions,
Doesn't mean it's not disgusting that because of bureaucracy I can't buy a European certified fireplace here which has higher standards.
It is bad .
In America!
European standards in general are not higher than ours.

Thank you all!
RAIS lost epa certification due to paperwork,
It's easy to have clearance and 10" class A pipe and double layers of x type Sheetrock and fire stops.
Double layer sheet rock is not necessary as long as clearances are met unless a manufacturer specifically requires it. I have yet to see any that do

It is bad .
Oh yeah, I totally get your frustration. And I also believe that if it's good enough to be certified in Europe, it should be safe enough for operation here. What was it they always say, "code doesn't need to make sense, but code does need to be followed."

Reactions: bholler
Oh yeah, I totally get your frustration. And I also believe that if it's good enough to be certified in Europe, it should be safe enough for operation here. What was it they always say, "code doesn't need to make sense, but code does need to be followed."
The problem is what countries standards are good enough what ones arent? Who determines that etc. What about the emissions standards etc etc. It gets really complicated pretty quick

The problem is what countries standards are good enough what ones arent? Who determines that etc. What about the emissions standards etc etc. It gets really complicated pretty quick
We can't get states to agree on standards never mind countries agreeing.

Reactions: bholler
It doesn't really matter. If it's not tested and listed here, it's going to be a problem for insurance, U&O, property resale, etc.

That said, a part of my prior job was getting high power electronics compliant with and declared to CE standards. So, I had to become familiar with Euro standards versus our own, at least in the realm of electrical, tipping and lifting hazards, material exposure hazards, etc. In almost all cases, their standards were more strict than ours, often to the point of affecting our product design and cost in substantial ways. It seems that writing manufacturing compliance standards, which must gain the approval of 27 relatively liberal (by comparison to USA) countries, requires them to be relatively strict with regard to safety.

Last edited: