3 straight e-2 codes and overflowing burnpot

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

the pony boy

Nov 5, 2011
putnam ny
came home and girlfirend said the stove stoped working. so i dump the pot give it a quick clean and still got 2 more overflows. looks like its not igniting at all? never had any real issues till now whats the way to get this fixed?

Check that the area around the igniter (in the tube) is free of ash, that the burn pot is properly positioned, that the combustion fan starts, and that the igniter is glowing orange.

all things point to the igniter. it was cold to the touch after another failed attempt to start.

well manually started the stove and contacted englander. looks like i will just keep it chugging on low for now.

the pony boy said:
.... contacted englander.....
Under warranty for sure if it's really no good.

If you have a 120v "test power cord" like some of us have made, you could plug the ignitor in all by itself while it's still in the stove and be 100% sure the ignitor is bad and not the control board.

imacman said:
the pony boy said:
.... contacted englander.....
Under warranty for sure if it's really no good.

If you have a 120v "test power cord" like some of us have made, you could plug the ignitor in all by itself while it's still in the stove and be 100% sure the ignitor is bad and not the control board.

evrything has been running fine since i started it manually. i will check the igniter and make sure its the case.

to test the igniter circuit first we test the igniter itself. to do so set into diagnostic

1. unplug power cord and plug it back in,
QUICKLY after plugging back in press the "low fuel feed" and the"air on temp" buttons (2 fingers press both together) and release. this should display a pair of "-" dashes in the display unless the stove is operating on a stat and the stat is not calling for heat. in this case the only dash displayed would be in the heat range.

2. press the "blower speed" UP arrow. this will start the exhaust blower needed to pull air through the igniter sleeve

3. press the "low burn air" at the bottom of the board (middle button) the light above it should come on, this toggles the igniter circuit

wait about 5 minutes, the door should be closed and the burn pot should be removed to better see in the igniter sleeve. if the igniter is working it will glow to the point you should be able to see it at the front of the sleeve. if it does glow but the stove doesnt light , do a "plates off" cleaning and check the flue as this indicates insufficient airflow to pull the igniters heat into the burn pot. if it does not glow see below...

4. push the "LBA" button to power down the igniter circuit, and push the blower up arrow to power down the exhaust blower.

5. remove the rear acces panel to get to the back of the circuit board. locate the igniter wires (9&10;) on the board , (skinny white wires plugged in on the far right of the row at the top) remove them from theboard , then move the two orange wires located next to them to the empty igniter terminals.

6. with the board in diagnostic (as applied above in step 1.) press the LBA button , the light above will illuminate and at this point if the igniter circuit on the board is good , the exhaust blower will start running. if the blower runs and you did not get the glow in the previous test the igniter is defective (blown) call my shop for replacement. if the exhaust blower does not start up then its a circuit board issue , again call my shop.

this is precisely how i troubleshoot a potential failed igniter on a 25-PAH unit. should you prefer that me or one of my techs walk you through it , again , please call my shop number is 800-245-6489 our hours are 8-5 eastern monday through friday, we would be happy to help you.

EDIT BTW i see the unit was purchased last november so any parts which are faulty i will UPS to you at no charge to you (warranty) if you have not yet registered (some folks fail to do so when they buy the product) no biggie, we will do your registration over the phone and get you what you need to fix your issue, i would ask though when you call in please have the unit's model and serial number handy so we can get this done for you.

thanks mike. the stove is running now but i manually lite it earlier. i will do the check in the morning and get back to you asap. are you guys open this monday? i know its a holiday for me!( local #3 ibew)

and that right there is why after reading many posts on this forum
before i bought my stove, is why i chose an Englander .

hopefully i'll never need their customer service but i know its there if i do

CTguy9230 said:
and that right there is why after reading many posts on this forum
before i bought my stove, is why i chose an Englander .

hopefully i'll never need their customer service but i know its there if i do

Ditto :)

ok i did what you said and its the igniter. the fan powered up when i switched the leads to the igniter circuit. i will give you guys a call in the am. thanks alot phil

Status
Not open for further replies.