3 Wheelers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I used a Big red Honda years ago for hauling wood. It would haul a rick of wood in a trailer through the MUD really well. It had a reverse gear and made it easy to get back to the wood. I have a lot ot MUD in my woods and it would haul it through as long as it didn't sink the axles in more than a couple in's. Thats like 10in of mud. they will pull a lot. That said, They will flip you off if you don't know how to ride them and even if you do. they are safe at LOW speeds. They will turn well in the woods and not damage trails as long as you go SLOW. Don't get the racing models, only get the big red types as they have more gears, reverse, and larger tires. Parts are a problem but most machanical parts are avilable.
I say go for it if you can find one that isn't beatup, cheap, you can work on it yourself.
DON'T LET ANY KID DRIVE IT AND DON'T GO OVER 10 MPH. THEY WILL THROW YOU SOONER OR LATER IF YOU DO.
leaddog

Quads. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the relative size of wood loads. I am of the firm belief that the rhythm of cutting a modest amount of wood, splitting the wood, loading, then driving to your driving area, touching up the saw....etc. etc. is a very good guard against injury.

For me one tank of fuel in my saw averages a quarter cord or so. I do not have hours on end to c/s/s so I agree with the theory. The only exception for me is when I am able to get family and friends together for a work bee day. I have witnessed far too many people go far too big with their equipment and spend waaaay too much money on gadgets.

For me a tractor is cheaper in some ways because I already have it. The other factor for me is that I have ready access to used parts from a tractor wrecker and I am mechanically inclined.

lowroadacres said:
Quads. I agree with you wholeheartedly on the relative size of wood loads. I am of the firm belief that the rhythm of cutting a modest amount of wood, splitting the wood, loading, then driving to your driving area, touching up the saw....etc. etc. is a very good guard against injury.

For me one tank of fuel in my saw averages a quarter cord or so. I do not have hours on end to c/s/s so I agree with the theory. The only exception for me is when I am able to get family and friends together for a work bee day. I have witnessed far too many people go far too big with their equipment and spend waaaay too much money on gadgets.

For me a tractor is cheaper in some ways because I already have it. The other factor for me is that I have ready access to used parts from a tractor wrecker and I am mechanically inclined.
Yup, you're right, different circumstances require different setups etc. And having a work bee with people to help you is a BIG difference. I am always alone...

Quads. To be honest, I prefer to work alone and when one is caught up I think it is a pretty good form of therapy.

When one is needing to get caught up/ahead and when the work crew are family who need to learn to work on their own heat source it is a good thing too.

U gotta ride only to your experiance. U have to know how to handle a three wheeler. Rode a big red for years and it has pulled alot of wood. Any atv will teach you a lesson even experianced riders that have been riding for 25years like me. The big red is for sale now. Needs the carb cleaned and some tlc.

Status
Not open for further replies.