3 year seasoned oak burns great! UPDATE

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
quads said:
splitnstack said:
Just don't get why you people think oak needs to season that long. It's not a mummy! Cut and split it at the same time, then make sure it has plenty of air and shelter for a year, or 18 months at the most, and burn it!
Dad used to do it all the time when I was a kid. And those chimney fires we had were really awesome! Like a rocket turned upside-down and strapped to the side of the house.

:ahhh: Buwhaaahaaahaaa!!!!

ya i miss those days ;-P

loon

gzecc said:
Just started burning white oak I received from a neighbor a few yrs ago. It took 3 yrs to get to be <22%. Its very nice to burn now. Glad I survived the three years to enjoy it. (It was stacked in the shade. I'll never do that again.)
UPDATE: Some of the larger splits are sizzling in the fire (not even very big and they were split). Maybe dementia is setting in? Maybe it hasn't been 3 yrs? This was double stacked in the shade from a perfectly healthy white oak tree, when it was cut.

gzecc said:
gzecc said:
Just started burning white oak I received from a neighbor a few yrs ago. It took 3 yrs to get to be <22%. Its very nice to burn now. Glad I survived the three years to enjoy it. (It was stacked in the shade. I'll never do that again.)
UPDATE: Some of the larger splits are sizzling in the fire (not even very big and they were split). Maybe dementia is setting in? Maybe it hasn't been 3 yrs? This was double stacked in the shade from a perfectly healthy white oak tree, when it was cut.

foak.

gzecc said:
gzecc said:
Double stacked in the shade, that is why a time frame for drying wood is not a constant!

oldspark said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I believe there must be a big difference in the oaks from one region to the other. Around here 3 years is about the minimum even stacked both in sun and wind. I plan on cutting some pin and red oaks this winter but for sure won't be burning it for 3 years. I'm patient; it will wait.

Btw, folks who burn oak before 3 years I usually find also burn other wood before it is really dry. I'm not running anyone down with this but just stating what I have found. For me, the wood needs to be dry and I hate to accept anything short of that.
Easy there big fella, too many varibles to say that.

oldspark, I was afraid that might come out wrong and I should not have posted it. I hope I did not hurt anybody's feelings and I am truly sorry if I did that as that is certainly not what I would want.

Backwoods Savage said:
oldspark said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I believe there must be a big difference in the oaks from one region to the other. Around here 3 years is about the minimum even stacked both in sun and wind. I plan on cutting some pin and red oaks this winter but for sure won't be burning it for 3 years. I'm patient; it will wait.

Btw, folks who burn oak before 3 years I usually find also burn other wood before it is really dry. I'm not running anyone down with this but just stating what I have found. For me, the wood needs to be dry and I hate to accept anything short of that.
Easy there big fella, too many varibles to say that.

oldspark, I was afraid that might come out wrong and I should not have posted it. I hope I did not hurt anybody's feelings and I am truly sorry if I did that as that is certainly not what I would want.
No problem Backwoods, I know your posts are always ment to be helpful, if we all agreed on everything this place would be boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.