3 year split and under roof scrounge

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
Long story short, my nearest neighbor (1/2 mile away) has/had a bunch of firewood that has been split and under roof for at least 3 years - some, much longer. Wants it gone - needs the wagons empty for an estate sale (his father). I throw a half hearted $200 offer and I will do all the work. He accepted. I decided the easiest way was to hook one of my old tractors to the wagons and pull them to my house. Here is what I got:
First is the flair box:
alkfirewoodsm.jpg

Then comes the barge box:
alkfirewood2sm.jpg

I also have loaded one pickup load (really loaded) no pic - find something you like about it;)

And there is approx. 3-4 more pickup loads to get.

I tossed the wood from wagons to my little wood wagon - back into old wash house and stack:
stackedsm.jpg

So far, the closest estimate is gonna be around 3 cords total. Both wagons and one pickup load is stacked. Still gotta get the other pickup loads, but it ain't going anywhere fast.
Maple, white oak, Osage, cherry, a little pine, Some punky stuff that doesn't count (and is not being counted) was in the mix. Oh, black walnut and hackberry was also in there.

This is how I unloaded the wagons:
alkfirewood4sm.jpg

Lots of loading and stacking for the weekend. Surprisingly, I am not stiff at all.

For the record, I tested several resplits and not a one of them went north of 18%mc. Every stick of this is burnable right now.

Wow! Awesome score!

Nice score Jags, should burn great.

Nice score Jags, should burn great.

I couldn't stand it any longer and threw an armload into the stove last night. Preemo stuff.:cool:

Awesome score.
Best $200 you've spent on firewood ever.
Doubt you'll ever get a good deal like that again :)

Awesome score.
Best $200 you've spent on firewood ever.
Doubt you'll ever get a good deal like that again :)

Mostly I have something against buying wood. I like being out there and doing it. I was handed a couple of blows to my world and this popped up filling a hole that I never got to fill this year. It was a win/win for both of us.

Nice lookin' stuff there.Will be even better once winter finally gets here.

Jags, that is sweet and will help you out of a bind. Hope all works out well.

Status
Not open for further replies.