3 yr rotation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Gearhead660

Minister of Fire
Dec 20, 2018
Southern WI
Been working hard for last year and a half or so to get a setup in place. Tired of pallets and rows of wood all over the place. Got wood sheds built and in place so I have a 3 year system. Fill up the empty shed from previous season and wood will sit for 3 years before being burned. All sheds built from stuff I got for free...other than the white metal roofing. Had to buy that. 20210321_134440.jpg
20210321_134516.jpg
20210321_134402.jpg

That's one way of doing it each year in rotation with separate sheds..I notice that you put the wood in long ways and is that so you can pull it out better so that it does not roll for safety measures so one does not roll on top of you---good idea and just think- free wow...clancey

That's one way of doing it each year in rotation with separate sheds..I notice that you put the wood in long ways and is that so you can pull it out better so that it does not roll for safety measures so one does not roll on top of you---good idea and just think- free wow...clancey
Yup. That way the front and back are open. Go a row at a time.
The smaller racks on the sides of the big sheds are made out of pallets and are filled with pine/soft wood for shoulder season. Each holds ~.75 cord.

Looks good! I think that wood sheds with multiple "bins" that can hold a cord plus are the way to go if you have room. With my shed, there will be 3-4 bins at any given time that will be full of wood that won't be touched for 3-4 yrs. The rest of the bins will contain stuff that can dry in a year or so and that is what gets used for the winter. I find it's easy enough to procure stuff like ash from the tree companies if I ask for it before they dump their logs at my house. But any logs that are free are fine by me whatever species they may be :)

I use the 2 row X 6 ft high, long running row method. Most of the time about 75' long. Add new to one end and take from the other end. Currently it's a single pile. Now the original starting point has lots of room I'm ready to start a new pile. This works well.

Reactions: D8Chumley
I like big bins in my sheds.. The smallest holds a little over 1 cord.. the others hold about 2.35 cords each.. I total about 12 ish cords CSS.. I put my sheds together based on my usage.. I burn no more than 4 cords.. with a yearly average of just over 3 cords..
20210221_115604.jpg20200201_095849.jpg