30° & more snow, pic

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Warmed to 30, snowing pretty good. Plowed the DrWy once, will need it again.
Went to sweep the deck, 30° snow is not powder fluffy stuff, broom handle broke. :(
Warm spell & snow is nice, but to be clear & in the zero & less range again by Tuesday.
Don't think our snow will melt until April, may get blown away , but not melt.
So when I see all yuns pictures with green grass, some envy. :)

Attachments

• 100_6824.jpg
    100_6824.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 246
Got hit here early Wednesday morning.First snow of the season.After 1.3 inches of much needed rain all day Tuesday into late evening,it started snowing around 9PM.Woke up at 5AM to 34 degrees & 3.7 inches of very heavy snow,areas west of metro had 4 to 6 with an isolated report near rural town of 8.Highs in low-mid 40's through Thursday,mid 50's now until early next week.A few small piles left in parking lots & isolated north facing areas now.

Attachments

• first snow110911.jpg
    first snow110911.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 236
  • 1st snow pic 2.jpg
    1st snow pic 2.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 252
  • 1st snow pic 3.jpg
    1st snow pic 3.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 242
WOW
You didn't even get time to pick up the leaves. Looks like they are coming down now.
Winter is coming to a location near you.

Dave, we'll be thinking of you and the shoveling for several months.

Got about 1/2" more, Tonight around zero to 5 °f. Clearing up.
Teens daytime & zero & below at night thru Thursday. My wood is drying thru "sublimation" :)
I was going to split some this week but gonna be to cold, not good for the hydraulic fluid & pump. (good of an excuse as any :) )
Alaska is storing up some cold air so we can send winter your way. N.of60 probably doing the same. WE like to share. Be in the "Jet stream mail" soon :)
Jet stream position: http://www.weatherimages.org/data/imag192.html
Steelers won today, so all is good again. & Sea Hawks beat the Ravens. :)

bogydave said:
WOW
You didn't even get time to pick up the leaves. Looks like they are coming down now.

I just view leafs that are left on the lawn as early spring fertilizer . . . once I run over them one or two times with my mower. ;)

firefighterjake said:
bogydave said:
WOW

I just view leafs that are left on the lawn as early spring fertilizer . . . once I run over them one or two times with my mower. ;)

I rarely have time to rake the yard each Fall.Maybe 1 year outta 5 it gets done.What usually happens is getting out the mower one more time,set it near the lowest depth & grinding them up.Anything that remains in early Spring gets raked before the grass reappears.

I use the leaves to make compost for the garden. As the fall, mow & bag them with some grass clippings mixed in, I keep filling the compost bin, spray on a little water, it get hot & shrinks down & in a few days I add more.
Start filling the bin in August with garden plants & leaves/grass. By next August I have good done compost & store it for use next spring & start a new batch.

Attachments

• grdn bn full.jpg
    grdn bn full.jpg
    170.8 KB · Views: 168
  • 102_3389.jpg
    102_3389.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 168
Suppose to be -40 tonight its -28 right now and dropping a degree or two every 20 minutes or so..

bsj425 said:
Suppose to be -40 tonight its -28 right now and dropping a degree or two every 20 minutes or so..

The first guy don't have a chance :lol: :)
That's Brutal cold!!! Most I've had her was -30 for a few days. I learned allot about why use synthetic oil in vehicles that week :)
I saw that on the weather site.
These below zeros are a little early here, Usually next month.
maybe we'll have to send a blast of cold air south pretty soon so everyone can start bragging about winter ;)
Been burning more wood lately, 1/2 loads at noon & running on a higher stat setting. No smoky glass now :)

Status
Not open for further replies.