$30 a month to heat my 1600sq ft house.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 8, 2010
Hartland MI.
I love my wood furnace!!!! I got the gas to the furnace turned off and i burn 24/7 with the wood furnace. My electric bill went up $30 from running the blower all the time. The house stay at 70-82 threw out the day and night. I have the vents closed in the bedrooms and i open the windows to cool it down so i can sleep. I wouldn't want to heat with anything else. Well maybe solar if i could keep the house at the same temp.

Anyone else loving their wood furnace lol.

I love my woodstove . . . does that count?

I started out with a forced air wood furnace and it didnt work out to well for me, mainly because I dont have a basement so I had it out in the garage and piped the supply and return into the crawl space. It would keep the house plenty warm, but the amount of wood I went through was bad. Im talking 8 full cord. Went to the Jotul and cut my wood consumption more than half. If I ever get a home with a basement ILL go back to the furnace, one of those new EPA jobs like the energy king 385

Hanko said:
I started out with a forced air wood furnace and it didnt work out to well for me, mainly because I dont have a basement so I had it out in the garage and piped the supply and return into the crawl space. It would keep the house plenty warm, but the amount of wood I went through was bad. Im talking 8 full cord. Went to the Jotul and cut my wood consumption more than half. If I ever get a home with a basement ILL go back to the furnace, one of those new EPA jobs like the energy king 385

that's about what i burn. i have to bring it down into my basement. its time consuming but heats the whole house rather then 2 rooms like my old wood burner did on the main floor. my main floor is a bunch of rooms and the heat never makes threw the whole house.

where are you at in linvinston co.?

Having a furnace in the basement, or a simple wood stove down there can be both good and bad. I just did not like the running up and down the stairs to tend the furnace. If I had to carry the wood down there I definitely would not do it. Well, maybe if I had a couple young boys to do the carrying, but not alone. We had a window we could remove and put a chute in to slide the wood down into the basement. Just drove tractor and wagon up by the house and one unloaded while another went down to do the stacking. Naturally, the one up top tried with all his might to hit the one below....

SimpleManLance said:
Hanko said:

that's about what i burn. i have to bring it down into my basement. its time consuming but heats the whole house rather then 2 rooms like my old wood burner did on the main floor. my main floor is a bunch of rooms and the heat never makes threw the whole house.

where are you at in linvinston co.?

Howell just down the road from you. My house is square and open and the stove is right in the middle, so for me it works, but if you got say a cut up ranch it is hard to heat all the rooms well

Status
Not open for further replies.