30 degree temp increase in a few hours.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Was -15 around 6PM, around 7:30 the wind started blowing.
Now it's almost +++++14°f.
Im burning down about 6" of hot coals as I post,
Had the BK cranking & no time for the burn down phase.
Of course the wind chill (25 mph wind) is around -4°, but that's manageable. :)

Attachments

• 100_7130.jpg
    100_7130.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 209
It's crazy how fast the weather can shift huh?! It was -25* this morning.

For sure this is one weird winter. A 29 degree change that quick sounds more like something that might happen in March.

Saw on the News last night, it's one of Alaska's coldest winter's in something like 50 years.
Having trouble breaking ice to get fuel to Nome. 50 below temps around the state, record snow falls.
Sure hope it only happens ever 40 to 50 years cause I don't want to experience many winters like this one.
Lower 48 setting high temp records every day, & we're freezing a gazumbas off & setting record low temps. :-S
30° temp increase & we're still several degrees below freezing.
Soon we'll have 7 hours of daylight & sun up to 10° angle here.
At least we're in the home stretch, 4 more weeks & we'll feel heat from the sun. :)

+2°, slight wind & clear. House is 72

We still need another couple feet of snow to make it "normal" to me. Avg snowfall where I grew up in Maine around 10ft, record was close to 16ft set just a couple winters ago.

Avg in Palmer is only around 4ft. Boooo!

We dropped about 30 over the past 12 hours. Thunderstorms this morning and snow this evening. Gotta love Indiana....if you don't like the weather, just wait a few hours.

lukem said:
We dropped about 30 over the past 12 hours. Thunderstorms this morning and snow this evening. Gotta love Indiana....if you don't like the weather, just wait a few hours.

Seems people everywhere say that... ;)

wow. very interesting. 30 degree shifts in alaska, indiana and here in this part of maine it's calling for 37f tomorrow and -6f tomorrow night.

bogydave said:
At least we're in the home stretch, 4 more weeks & we'll feel heat from the sun. :)

C'mon sunshine! Sounds like it's time to pull out the seed catalogs Dave.

BeGreen said:
bogydave said:

C'mon sunshine! Sounds like it's time to pull out the seed catalogs Dave.
'
been browsing thru a few, want to try a few different tomatoes & a cuc that don't need to be pollenated.
6 weeks tomato seeds get started :)

Are there any cukes that moose won't eat? I can't seem to keep them long enough to pick, the frigging moose gobble them all up.

It's been getting progressively colder here. Was -24°C last night and going down to -28°C tonight and -30°C tomorrow. The 22km/h winds are just icing on the cake. We've been feeding the stove a pretty steady diet and raking the coals forward on each load to keep them from building up.

Supposedly by Sunday we should be back to single (-) digits.

NATE379 said:
Are there any cukes that moose won't eat? I can't seem to keep them long enough to pick, the frigging moose gobble them all up.

They haven't figured out how to get inside the Green house yet :)

LL
That's cold even in C°.
Feed the stove & Stay warm :)

Status
Not open for further replies.