30 degrees here today and still have a fire going...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

burntime

Aug 18, 2006
C'mon hunting season!
I end up starting a fire at night when its 45 degrees and stoke it to go to bed. Then get it going in the morning and let it die out. I am ready for overnight lows of 55!!!

Ja, been letting the fire go out through the day but start it up again when the sun goes down as it still goes well below freezing overnight. There's still lots of snow on the ground. Switched to burning Poplar (Aspen) now and still have about a half cord of it left.

Same here - morning and evening. Getting kinda tired of burning wood this time of year but house sure warms up fast. Ready for some warmer weather and putting wood stove to sleep for awhile.

Same here with still burning. Only nights and weekend mornings to take chill off. Just buring a bunch of 1" to 3" rounds at this point.

We will be burning the next few nights with temps falling below freezing!Finnally looks like a warming pattern starting by mid next week here with temps maybe getting into low 60s with lows above freezing.I have enough wood left for 5 or 6 more nightly burns.

I'm down to one fire per day--around 9 p.m. Last night, it was still 73 in the house at 9 p.m, but
temps down into the 20's overnight. Our house has lots of solar gain during the day.

It's pretty chilly here, too. 42 degrees, overcast, with a light rain. I'm going to do some grocery shopping, come home and start a fire to take the chill off and dry the laundry. I'll probably stoke it before going to bed, too. I think this is the perfect use for a wood stove, a nice way to take the chill off a dank afternoon on a raw day.

I worked outside this morning, moving maple rounds to the splitter area and getting ready for that operation. I also marked things that need to come down and be turned into firewood for '11-'12. Seems funny to be coming out of the wood burning season and thinking about the next couple!

I stoked the stove right full for overnight as the weather guessers were saying a low of -10C. Woke up this morning to a few coals and still 74F inside but resurrected the fire anyway so the wife could enjoy it when she got up. That's the price of having a HM wife.

Just started burning again after about a week and a half of warm weather. Only at night. Looking forward to cleaning the stove one more time and closing her up for the summer.

I really enjoyed my first year of heating with a stove. I used my fireplace for about 10 years but it's not the same. The fire is a lot bigger and nicer but absolutely no heat.

I burned 24/7 since November and went through maybe 3 cords. A lot less then i thought.

Here in NW Ark. I'm down to about 3 fires/week only at night. That's OK with me because I'm burning very seasoned wood right now. I'd prefer to have that wood available next winter.

LeftyScott

stejus said:
Same here with still burning. Only nights and weekend mornings to take chill off. Just buring a bunch of 1" to 3" rounds at this point.

With ya on that only im lucky enough to still have half a cord of mixed splits..........its actually raining with spits of slush here today! Temps been hovering between 35-38 all day.

Another night of burning... Guess I will need to get it to 90 in hear to see if the little lady starts pealing off clothing :cheese:

Burned all day here. Cold rain. Still have plenty of wood left and I'm sure I'll burn a fire into May. Just remember, its not about this year is about a few years from now...

We have a freeze warning around here tonight, so I'll be building a fire before we go to bed.

50's during the day, 30's at night... makes me glad to have a little bit of pine on hand for a quick hot fire.

-SF

Gonna drop back down below 30 tonight here. It'll probly be 25 or lower at my place with all the surrounding bogs flooded. Just brought in a mix of cherry, elm, white and red oak splits. Even gonna burn some sassyfrass and pine!

Yep, out to the front of the yard to pick up all the wierd stuff to feed the fire again. Rather then try to stack it I just throw it in a pile and use it in spring and fall.

I hate this time of year. Thirties when we got up with bright sunshine. Knocked the chill off of downstairs with a space heater. Now it is in the fifties outside, mid sixties downstairs and the mid seventies upstairs. Headed for mid to low twenties by sun-up. Just tossed a match on the top down pile to start'er up. If I don't now I will be playing catchup two hours from now.

mikepinto65 said:
stejus said:

With ya on that only im lucky enough to still have half a cord of mixed splits..........its actually raining with spits of slush here today! Temps been hovering between 35-38 all day.

"don't hassle the hoff!" YEAH!

Wow this thread will not die. kinda like winter :lol: Another fire last night... Good weather should be in Wisconsin soon right????

Same here . . . one hot, fast fire in the evening and one in the a.m. to just take the chill off things . . . I know I'm going through a lot of kindling now.

Status
Not open for further replies.