30 Gauge Galvanized Steel Metal for Block Off Plate on an FPX Large Flush Hybrid-Fyre

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

hawks19782002

Oct 1, 2022
PA
We already made this block off plate in 2 pieces but then realized that this might be 30 gauge galvanized sheet metal as it appears from the stamp on the metal in the last 2 pictures if I'm reading that right. Would it be better for the gauge to be lower or should this work well? Trying to install an FPX Large Flush Hybrid-Fyre I'm getting from somebody renovating who no longer needs it. Thank you.

2023-09-26 16.53.37.jpg 2023-09-26 16.53.40.jpg 2023-09-26 17.07.41.jpg 2023-09-26 17.08.07.jpg 2023-09-26 17.47.51.jpg 2023-09-28 16.54.47.jpg 2023-09-29 15.26.22.jpg 2023-09-29 15.26.36.jpg 2023-09-29 15.26.50.jpg 2023-09-29 15.26.56.jpg fullsizeoutput_2c6.jpeg IMG_5409.jpeg IMG_5410.jpeg IMG_5411.jpeg 2023-09-29 15.26.56.jpg IMG_5409.jpeg IMG_5410.jpeg IMG_5411.jpeg

Attachments

• 2023-09-26 17.41.56.mov
    6.1 MB
Last edited:
It's fine for a block-off plate. This is just a hot air barrier.

Thanks, by the way, I'm a newbie but I'm so impressed with these forums. You all are really a great resource. Can't thank you enough. You almost (emphasize almost) give me enough confidence to try the install myself but not quite, haha. If anybody is in the southeastern PA area outside of Philadelphia or has recommendations for somebody in that area on an insert install, I'd gladly take them. I turned to these forums initially because I have a similar Lopi Large Flush insert downstairs and it's not performing and heating like it should I believe. Reading these forums has made me think it's likely a lack of a block-off plate, don't know if they insulated liner, etc. (have used kiln-dried wood and other really dry wood to make sure that's not it).

I installed my own insert after being on the forum for a couple years. It didn’t take that long to learn how or gain confidence. It just took that long for me to buy the insert. If you are comfortable working on the roof and it’s safe, it’s a project anyone with basic DIY skills can do if you have enough friends to help lift the insert into place. It took 3 of us to pull/push the insulated 25’ liner down.

Thanks, by the way, I'm a newbie but I'm so impressed with these forums. You all are really a great resource. Can't thank you enough. You almost (emphasize almost) give me enough confidence to try the install myself but not quite, haha. If anybody is in the southeastern PA area outside of Philadelphia or has recommendations for somebody in that area on an insert install, I'd gladly take them. I turned to these forums initially because I have a similar Lopi Large Flush insert downstairs and it's not performing and heating like it should I believe. Reading these forums has made me think it's likely a lack of a block-off plate, don't know if they insulated liner, etc. (have used kiln-dried wood and other really dry wood to make sure that's not it).
Is it a hybrid? Either way, have you cleaned the flyash out from above the baffle? Ash and debris will really slow a stove down if it’s not cleaned out.

I have before but thanks for the reminder. The one we're about to install is the FPX Large Flush Hybrid-Fyre with the catalyst. The old install is the generation right after that one, the Lopi Large Flush NexGen-Fyre where Travis Industries removed the catalyst. Even from the start the Lopi never really raised the temperature in the walk-out basement room by many degrees and virtually nothing in the other parts of the house. You had to basically sit in front of it to feel heat from the blower.

I installed my own insert after being on the forum for a couple years. It didn’t take that long to learn how or gain confidence. It just took that long for me to buy the insert. If you are comfortable working on the roof and it’s safe, it’s a project anyone with basic DIY skills can do if you have enough friends to help lift the insert into place. It took 3 of us to pull/push the insulated 25’ liner down

Thanks, awfully tempting to DIY :) If anybody in the southeastern PA area wants to hit me up, I'll make it worth your while! haha...

I have before but thanks for the reminder. The one we're about to install is the FPX Large Flush Hybrid-Fyre with the catalyst. The old install is the generation right after that one, the Lopi Large Flush NexGen-Fyre where Travis Industries removed the catalyst. Even from the start the Lopi never really raised the temperature in the walk-out basement room by many degrees and virtually nothing in the other parts of the house. You had to basically sit in front of it to feel heat from the blower.
If the fireplace is cantilevered outside of the house, try insulating the firebox around the insert and add a block off plate. It’ll make a big difference.

If the fireplace is cantilevered outside of the house, try insulating the firebox around the insert and add a block off plate. It’ll make a big difference.
Thanks, definitely doing this on the new install and will likely try and fix this on the old install. Doing block off plate and given how much space is all around this unit seems like mineral wool/insulation is a must. Both units and openings about same size.

IMG_5413.jpeg

Reactions: webby3650 and EbS-P