-30 in Minnesota

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jacksnipe

Jan 20, 2008
Bayfield Co. WI.
Been tough dealing with this artic blast over the last few days, the Englander NC-30 has been having a tough time burning through the night. I hear parts of North Dakota it's even colder. The forecast is more of the same until next week

I have to travel to Minneapolis next week. How about getting things a little warmer! I hate it when the glycol de-icer freezes on the plane!

that's WITH wind chill, right? It's not that cold here, but too cold for my liking. It was something like -5F (without the windchill factor) when I woke up.

We have just been in the teens and hating it. I cannot imagine -30 °F . :ahhh:

That was without wind chill:

"Record low temperature set at International Falls MN...

a record low temperature of -37 degrees was set at International
Falls MN today. This breaks the old record of -35 set in 1911."

Better there than here. Our infrastructure is not set up for temps below zero.

BeGreen said:

crap, that's too cold for me...and I went running in shorts the other day at -5 (no Wind chill factor)

My Daughter is glad that I picked up the big boy NC-30 instead of the NC-13, I told her wait until the thermometer drops into the -20s for a few days :bug:

I'm in southern MN and the last three nights have hit -25F (not wind chill- actual). Both Fireviews need to be running and I get down to 65f after an overnight (8hr burn). Looks like another week of it too. Natural gas furnace hasn't kicked on yet.

I am on my 4th night of -15 below for a low where I live in Minnesota. I am heating a 1,250 square foot house with my Blaze king insert. Seems to be hanging in there with enough heat to keep the house in the middle 70's during the day. I really like this insert because I can load alot of wood it into the 2.8 cubic foot box. Haven't had to feed it during the nights when we are sleeping. Very happy with the Blazeking in the cold weather, keeping the temp in the lower middle setting. Temps in the basement are around 40 degrees. My girl friend thinks I am crazy heating the house with wood and not using the furnace when its this cold. She says that I am obsessed with gathering wood....lol.....

Danno77 said:
crap, that's too cold for me...and I went running in shorts the other day at -5 (no Wind chill factor)

You're insane.

My TL-300 is having a hard time keeping up this year especially with the below zero temps.
Currently at 12:28 PM it is -8.
I am burning mainly softwood this year (which is not as seasoned as I would like it to be) so I am not getting the average 10-12 hour burn times with stove top around 450-525 that I had when I was burning seasoned oak.
Last year with the seasoned oak I was able to maintain a 78-80 temp in the basement which made it around 72 upstairs.
This year I am having a hard time to maintain a 74-76 basement with a 70 upstairs, since I am only getting an average 6-8 hour burn.

BeGreen said:

-37 !!! I think I'd have drink turpentine and pee in the NC30 and insert to keep 4000sq ft warm. We hit 3 deg above when I left the house Sun morning but the house was above 70. I just dont think I could muster a 100 degree delta like some of you boys do....well maybe for a few hours but no way it would do it for the long haul.

BrowningBAR said:
Danno77 said:

You're insane.
yes, yes, I am. But in all fairness I didn't say i liked doing it. It was more of a "look what i can do" kinda thing. one and a half miles (I chickened out of a 2 mile run) later i was seriously wondering if I had frost bite on my legs from knee up to short line. couldn't feel my legs at the end of the run. came in and ran to the wood stove and got as close as i could for a minute or so. When you are looking at your legs just mm away from a stove top that's reading 500 and you can't feel it you get a little worried. I seriously could have touched the stove with my cold leg and wouldn't have felt it. I'd have regretted it later, I'm sure, but I wouldn't have felt it at the time. warmed up slowly under a blanket redness went away, and started wondering if I cold have made it further.... Let it never be said that I don't sometimes push the boundaries....

Danno77 said:
BrowningBAR said:
Danno77 said:

You're insane.
yes, yes, I am. But in all fairness I didn't say i liked doing it. It was more of a "look what i can do" kinda thing. one and a half miles (I chickened out of a 2 mile run) later i was seriously wondering if I had frost bite on my legs from knee up to short line. couldn't feel my legs at the end of the run. came in and ran to the wood stove and got as close as i could for a minute or so. When you are looking at your legs just mm away from a stove top that's reading 500 and you can't feel it you get a little worried. I seriously could have touched the stove with my cold leg and wouldn't have felt it. I'd have regretted it later, I'm sure, but I wouldn't have felt it at the time. warmed up slowly under a blanket redness went away, and started wondering if I cold have made it further.... Let it never be said that I don't sometimes push the boundaries....

Below 30 I put on sweats and thermals when I run. The dog seems to enjoy the cold weather, though.

BrowningBAR said:
Danno77 said:

You're insane.

as a marathon runner and 1/2 ironman i second this opinion.
cold weather is when my woodway gets used!

i refuse to go outside when the temp is below 32(unless i am playing with the dog or cutting wood)

it was -12 in south eastern wisconsin last night or the night before.
my little insert is having the hardest time keeping my house warm. house is 3000 square feet, with 2 bedrooms closed off i would say it is closer to 2500 sq feet.
my basement is 50 degrees, under the sink farthest fromt he fire i have gotten temps of 45 degrees. too cold for comfort.
the furnace is now set a little higher as i do not want to have a frozen pipe.

i wish i was able to have a larger stove. 74K BTU is just not enough.
i sure am burning through the wood at these cold outdoor temps though!
i will need to get more soon(im a 1st season burner and cut dead standing wood for this year, and am working on next years and 2012's wood pile as well)

i run in shorts in when temps are in the teens and twenties all the time. I just don't find it to be that cold. I wear nice upper body wear and usually some stretchy gloves. It takes me longer to warm up my legs, but If it's 20 degrees out and I'm wearing tights i find myself starting to get too sweaty when I'm over a mile.

Now, If i'm on a track doing speedwork you'd never catch me running in shorts when it's cold. In fact i use sweats to warm up for any speedwork or intense running no matter what temp it is (college track sorta made a habit of that for me, you'd be sent back to put warmup sweats on even if it was 95 out).

Keep in mind, I'm not running for time or for MAJOR exercise, I'm just running cause I like to be outside and even better if it's cold and snowy.

Lanning said:
Temps in the basement are around 40 degrees.

Watch those pipes! You maybe want to run the heat a bit to keep it around 50.

-30 in Minnesota
30 in Florida
........................THAT'S ABOUT THE SAME!

There goes the price of orange juice.....

No negative numbers yet for NNJ. 2 days of 15-16 degrees is rough. Might be around zero time you factor in the wind chill.

I'm glad to know I am not the only one with a stove that is struggling. When it got to 61 on the inside - we had to let the propane heat kick in. I can't imagine -37

I think we hit -20 a few days ago and it's going to be below zero for lows all week. You start to get use to it after a week or so and when it gets back up into the +20's it feels like a heat wave. I'm glad my stove is in the basement, keeping the pipes from freezing and also heats the whole house.

Status
Not open for further replies.