30-NC install complete. Thanks!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

buzcranne

Oct 3, 2008
Deep South Jersey
I finished up my Englander 30-NC install today. Just wanted to so say thanks to everybody who chipped in answering my questions over the past several days.

The wifey and I were able to get the 450-lb monster off of my truck, across the deck, into the house, and up into the fireplace. This was the hardest part of the job. Installing the chimney liner was pretty simple, as was the top plate.

So, again, thanks. Now we just need some actual cold weather so I can see how well the heat will circulate around the house.

Sorry about the poor quality photo.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 710
Looking good.

Here is your new T-Shirt

Attachments

• englander t shirt.jpg
    englander t shirt.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 597
That looks terrific, good job! And I will never, ever, challenge either you nor your wife to an arm wrestling contest. :lol: Rick

BrotherBart, if those shirts were for sale I'd buy one.

Fossil, there was some brawn involved, but some brains as well. I gave my neighbor advanced warning that I may be asking him to help me with manpower today. When I called to tell him we had taken care of it, he had basically the same reaction as you... he's going to do his best to stay on the wife's good side.

No, she doesn't look like a linebacker. :)

I'm sitting here with the fire going, listening to a great horned owl hooting away in the woods just outside the back door. Life is good.

Got Great Horneds out here in Oregon, too...spectacular birds. 'Bout time to change yer avatar to "After", ain't it? Rick

looks good.
Feels good to know you don't have to lift that stove anymore just feed it a few times a day ;)

Welcome to the Englander club. You'll be getting your membership plaque, secret decoder ring, hat and dues soon. Congratulations.

Might want to consider putting lower block off plate in also. Keep that heat in the home.
Looks great! Almost carbon copy of BB's

Hogwildz, I did put a makeshift blockoff plate in. Just sheet metal roughly cut to shape for now, but I would guess even this is far better than nothing. Luckily more than half of the stove is outside of the fireplace so we should get good radiation into the house.

Brother Bart, after reading that your setup looks like mine I poked around for a photo but didn't find one. Care to share?

Rehingd said:
Hogwildz, I did put a makeshift blockoff plate in. Just sheet metal roughly cut to shape for now, but I would guess even this is far better than nothing. Luckily more than half of the stove is outside of the fireplace so we should get good radiation into the house.

Brother Bart, after reading that your setup looks like mine I poked around for a photo but didn't find one. Care to share?

Attachments

• 30-ncl large.JPG
    30-ncl large.JPG
    86.3 KB · Views: 502
Eeewww!!! - an ugly steel plate stove with the door handle on the wrong side! %-P Rick

Will you be adding a hearth extension to achieve 18" of hearth in front of the stove?

BeGreen said:
Will you be adding a hearth extension to achieve 18" of hearth in front of the stove?

It will definitely be needed. For ember protection and the 30 tosses a bunch of heat down through the glass to the floor. In fact more than 18" is a good idea for the heat part.

Yes, I'm either going to be pulling up some of the carpet and laying down tile or just using a mat. But, can you put a hearth mat over carpet?

Rehingd said:
Yes, I'm either going to be pulling up some of the carpet and laying down tile or just using a mat. But, can you put a hearth mat over carpet?

Typically, hearth mats are not considered a hearth extension. And I don't believe that they will hold up as far as "code" is concerned.

Rehingd said:
By the way, BrotherBart, very nice shot of fire there.

My favorite is the one of the first fire last season.

Attachments

• 30 first burn 07-08 firebox.jpg
    30 first burn 07-08 firebox.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 415
I have to admit that I love the HUGE and unobstructed viewing glass of the 30. Its pretty cool. (well in BroB's pic it would be hotter than hell)

fossil said:
Eeewww!!! - an ugly steel plate stove with the door handle on the wrong side! %-P Rick

i love A BIG BAD 30-NC sitting in a fireplace. essentially it turns a poor old inefficient wood wasting pile of bricks into a heat slinger. essentially almost turning a fireplace into a masonry heater. if this thing wont heat your house you need to call a roofer to put a lid on your dwelling.

I love your stoves, Mike...when it comes time to replace one of my ugly steel plate stoves, I'll definitely be in touch. (But, can I have the door handle on the left?) Rick

stoveguy2esw said:
i love A BIG BAD 30-NC sitting in a fireplace. essentially it turns a poor old inefficient wood wasting pile of bricks into a heat slinger. essentially almost turning a fireplace into a masonry heater. if this thing wont heat your house you need to call a roofer to put a lid on your dwelling.

I remember the look on Bob D's face when I told him I had stuffed his baby into a fireplace. Kind of the facial version of "WHAT!!!??".

And now the hearth extension is done. Next step: the new mantel.

Attachments

• PA270013.jpg
    PA270013.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 207
  • PA270007.jpg
    PA270007.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 205
index.php

I have considered getting a hearth pad or extending the slate myself.

Especially burning pine........man that stuff sparks like crazy :bug:

Status
Not open for further replies.