30 nc owners..... paint curing smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

crackshot

Jan 15, 2011
Moosup ct
hey fellas,.... wondering how bad the englander 30 smells of paint on first initial fire ups. mine will be here the end of the week,... and after install,... I am wondering if I should send the wife and child away(shopping)..... the wife is 5 months prego and the boy is 2..... I dont want to light her up (stove) with them there if its not gonna be controllable with a window or 2 cracked.... thanks again

Stick a couple of pieces of pipe in the flue collar and burn it in on the driveway or sidewalk.

Attachments

• 30 outside burn.jpg
    30 outside burn.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 30 break in.jpg
    30 break in.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 238
It will stink for certain. If it happens indoors everything will need to be opened up to clear out the smell.

pen

great idea!!!!!!! thanks for the idea !!!!.... Ill just have to take it back outside once i get my pipe,..... is there anything you guys would have done differently during the break in....like temps. temp duration????

You will need to keep the door cracked like in the picture because draft will be poor with just a couple of pieces of pipe. As far as temps go I just fire the sucker up to 500 and let it cure.

BrotherBart said:
You will need to keep the door cracked like in the picture because draft will be poor with just a couple of pieces of pipe. As far as temps go I just fire the sucker up to 500 and let it cure.
thank you once again sir.... I appreciate it!

Remember that any new pipe sections in the house are going to smell too for a bit.

BROTHER BART is right, i have 2 of these babys and the 1st one went in the house and i thought i would never get er' burned off. every new high temp would stink the house up...... the 2nd 30 is at camp and i did a major 4 hour burn with 750F on top outside. after that there was minor stinkage from the 6 inch pipe but just one fire and the pipe was cured narry a fume from that stove.
enjoy the stove, it will serve you well.

Northern Virgina recorded recorded record high temps for the day I did that burn-in. ;-P

Status
Not open for further replies.