30-NC Top Sagging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

kraco14

Jan 5, 2017
NE Georgia
I started a thread earlier about thermometers. The reason for that thread is because I've noticed that there is a small sag on the top plate of my stove and I'm afraid that I've over fired the stove because of inaccurate stove top readings. There are no welds broken, that I can see, and the stove operates normally. I'm just wondering if any one else has experienced this and if I've screwed up royally by shortening the life span of the stove. Hopefully this is a common occurrence and no harm was done...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The actual external stove top is sagged? The thick plate? I’ve melted and sagged the internal airwash plate but it’s really thin, poorly designed, and common to melt. Is your paint still black? I’ve seen some overworked nc30 stoves and I really use mine as hard as I think I safely can.

Pictures please!

Yes, the actual top plate. It's not much and the only reason I could tell it was sagging was because I was sitting on a bucket during a reload and was eye level with it. I tried to measure but couldn't get an accurate measurement with a hot stove. I was able to measure the corners and they were uniform. The sag is just above the door. Once this cold snap ends, I'll put a straight edge on it to see if there are gaps. I'll have to wait until tomorrow to get a pic and you may not even be able to tell with a picture. Maybe it's always been like that but I just noticed it today. Or maybe I've had one too many...

Reactions: Highbeam
IMG_3491.JPG

Hope the picture is showing up. Like I said, it's not much, about 1/16th of an inch. I tried to get a perspective so that you can see there is a small gap between the level and the stove in the middle, while there is no gap on the edge. Maybe it came like that and maybe it's such a small sag that I should be ok. I do run the stove pretty hard but it's never glowed and there is no discoloration anywhere on the stove. This is the 4th season with this stove.

I have a 1980's Fisher Grandma bear 3/8" plate steel top about 32" wide. I have been running up to 1050F with an average of 850F. No sag on my stove top and no discoloring of the paint, no glowing . Is there a chance your level is not exactly a good straight edge? When cold use a feeler gauge to measure the gap and keep an eye on it.

I wouldnt worry about that little sag. I'd think a big plate like that heating and cooling would develop a slight ripple after awhile

I see nothing to worry about...

Get that thing fired back up! It's cold outside!

Haha! No doubt, it's still chugging along.

Glad to hear the consensus is that it's probably nothing to worry about. I'm just afraid that it will get worse. The stove is usually cruising between 700-800 degrees but there has been some times where it's been above that.

Totally fine. These stoves are mass produced. When you weld all around the edges, the inside will pucker. It was like that new.

I measured mine in th same spot and got 15 thousandths of a dip on top.

For heat to have melted the top plate you would have had to get the stove so hot that the paint would be gone.

Inside the door on top, that thin thing is a pos! It melts if you look at it funny!

Attachments

• 56D78D6F-C96A-424A-9FA0-7B9A64F7069A.jpeg
    56D78D6F-C96A-424A-9FA0-7B9A64F7069A.jpeg
    105.1 KB · Views: 157
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 125
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Totally fine. These stoves are mass produced. When you weld all around the edges, the inside will pucker. It was like that new.

I measured mine in th same spot and got 15 thousandths of a dip on top.

For heat to have melted the top plate you would have had to get the stove so hot that the paint would be gone.

Inside the door on top, that thin thing is a pos! It melts if you look at it funny!

Awesome! That's what I wanted to hear. I guess I was just in the right spot to notice it. I appreciate you taking the time to measure your stove.

My air wash looks about the same!

Thanks again for your help

This ^ ^ ^

Reactions: Highbeam