1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

30 NC users - where do place your stove thermometer?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by treehackers, Aug 14, 2011.

1. treehackers

treehackers Member

Loc:
    South Central MA
    Getting ready to install my new Englander stove and was wondering if anyone has a sweet spot to place a magnetic thermometer? I want to keep and eye on the temps while I get used to the stove.

On another note, what is a realistic cruising temp for the stove?

Thanks!

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. cmonSTART

cmonSTART Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Antrim, NH
    I put mine in the middle of the lower part of the top top, right there in front. It will cruise well somewhere between 3 mile island and Chernobyl.
  3. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    I have had thermometers all over my 30 and the one I pay most attention to is the one on the lower step, centered left to right, as close to the rise going to the top step as I can get it. Using the IR thermometer I've found that to be the hottest part.

pen
  4. blades

blades Minister of Fire

Loc:
    WI, Milw
    I've got mine on the step in the middle on top , the sloped part. Seems to be about the best over all average reading. Reads pretty close to the ir gun at that position. Cruising temp is somewhat dependent on the type of wood is burning, with 400 -600 being typical for me. Note that these numbers are with the blower running so there is a cooling effect taking place.
  5. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    Middle of the step for me.

Matt
  6. treehackers

treehackers Member

Loc:
    South Central MA
    Nice - I'll try the step area
  7. Seasoned Oak

Seasoned Oak Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern Central PA
    On the first step its common to get a 750 reading.
  8. pen

pen There are some who call me...mod. Staff Member

Loc:
    N.E. Penna
    That's why I put it there, I want to know how hot the hottest part is and then make a judgement call about my burn from there.

To each their own really though since Englander says things are hunky-dory until the stove turns into a night light! I've had this stove hot but never seen anything glow. Can't say that for the old fisher. I swear the wife thought she worked undercover for a high heat paint testing facility when we owned that thing.

pen