30 NC users - where do place your stove thermometer?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

treehackers

Sep 25, 2008
South Central MA
Getting ready to install my new Englander stove and was wondering if anyone has a sweet spot to place a magnetic thermometer? I want to keep and eye on the temps while I get used to the stove.

On another note, what is a realistic cruising temp for the stove?

Thanks!

I have had thermometers all over my 30 and the one I pay most attention to is the one on the lower step, centered left to right, as close to the rise going to the top step as I can get it. Using the IR thermometer I've found that to be the hottest part.

pen

I've got mine on the step in the middle on top , the sloped part. Seems to be about the best over all average reading. Reads pretty close to the ir gun at that position. Cruising temp is somewhat dependent on the type of wood is burning, with 400 -600 being typical for me. Note that these numbers are with the blower running so there is a cooling effect taking place.

Nice - I'll try the step area

On the first step its common to get a 750 reading.

trump said:
On the first step its common to get a 750 reading.

That's why I put it there, I want to know how hot the hottest part is and then make a judgement call about my burn from there.

To each their own really though since Englander says things are hunky-dory until the stove turns into a night light! I've had this stove hot but never seen anything glow. Can't say that for the old fisher. I swear the wife thought she worked undercover for a high heat paint testing facility when we owned that thing.

pen

Status
Not open for further replies.