30 NCH in double fireplace. Will it fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ratkillingdog

Hearth Supporter
Oct 5, 2007
Evening. New to posting, but not new to reading this forum and 40 years or so with wood stoves. We have a smoke dragon that I'm wanting to replace with the 30-nch, but I would like to locate the 30 more in the center of our home. That would be in our double sided unused fireplace. Raised hearth both sides, and opening size of 41" w x 26" h. I know the stove with legs is taller than that. I could gain 2 more inches by removing some hearth bricks and the fire brick on the floor of the fireplace, but I would rather cut or remove the legs and set it on some small gauge rr rails I have, or some tubing. The chimney goes straight up and I have cut out the damper and dropped insulated pipe down as I have another small old stove in place now. Nearest 30 in stock is 120 miles away, so it's difficult to run over and measure. Maybe someone would be willing to check height from top of top to bottom of ash drawer. I would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks,
BC

Insurance already inspected the small stove that is in place in the "hole". Hearth is 18"tall x6' deep x 10' wide, solid concrete and brick. Fireplace and facing both sides is 8' tall x 8' wide x 4'deep, all solid block, brick, and concrete with rebar, I know the mason that built it. This mass sits in the middle of a 30' x 40' room. I am a general contractor and will contact Englander stoves about this installation, but as far as UBC, it's good. Will the stove fit? Will it over heat? It won't burn the house down, we've had plenty respectable fires in the fireplace. Pretty to look at, but cools the house off!

Read the first post and think about it. I said could remove bricks from the hearth. Remove upper bricks means removing the lintel means a trip to the ER. For pete's sake, I have a block off plate just above the lintel and one at the ceiling line, not roof line. If I can make a stove work in this space I plan on removing the masonry from the top of the chimney to just above the ceiling line and using this many tons of thermal mass for heat storage.

i have one setting in my lab right now, if i remember i'll measure it tomorrow and post back to you. one thing you might think about is the optional 6" leg set rather than the 9, will lower the collar 3 inches and it was tested with them so its legal UL wise. i do not see any issues with the install myself as long as the stove is not altered (except with the approved shorter legs)

BTW , i'd think about the blower as well to move some of the heat out of there into the room, not so much for protecting the stove , she'll handle it.

Mike, Thank you for your reply and knowledge. I understand what you are saying about the blower and I've thought about the direct radiant heat from the top and sides being soaked up by the masonry. If I can use this stove, I can remove the chimney from top down to ceiling height and insulate it there. There is nothing I can do about the mass sitting on the earth under the house. If I can't make this stove work, I will consider wrecking the whole fireplace and going back with a masonry heater. Major, major project. After reading the comments on this stove here for the last 2 years, it's what I want to try for. Another complication is that the Home Depot closest to us doesn't handle wood stoves because of county regs. We are in Northern CA. and Home Depots in Reno, NV. Every thing going south of here gets warmer and nobody stocks anything this big, so I pretty much have to buy this thing sight unseen. Sounds like I have more trouble than the Red Cross! I might be stupid, but I make up for it in effort.

look at home depot direct, you may (or may not i dunno sales isnt my rice bowl) get a reasonable deal with delivery. might be worth it , might not. orders through that site ship direct from the factory, BTW im sending you a PM

HD online has them on sale right now and shipping to my house shows $25. I don't know it would be different for CA but you can just start an order online to see.

Brother B. Good idea. It shows "estimated" direct shipping to my house at $25.00 also. Cheap enough. 100 bucks of this month!

Lady, Yeh, that's what i was thinking about. I don't see that I would loose much from heat the footing touching earth. It would be the same as a masonry heater. Really no way to put a thermal break below with all that mass and weight above. I wouldn't expect my set up to work as well as the real masonry heater, but like I said, just the demo alone is more than I would like to take on. Looks like it will go with the short leg set from the factory! All kosher. We'll see how it proceeds and thanks you guys.

Like fall already here in the Mountains. Last week way too hot to split wood and today I need a sweatshirt.

Rat... in honor of the best Border Collie that ever lived. Killed more mice and ground squirrels than 10 cats. ratkillingdog.

Status
Not open for further replies.