30' Rows of rounds, splitting time?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
Ok, Ok, I've been slackin'. I "will' have 5 rows of rounds by this weekend, ready to split next week('cause I really, really need some time off from work.) So how long would it take "YOU", to split 5 rows of wood, each 30' long? Splits are Lodgepole, with some Aspen mixed in. Majority standing dead, so pretty dry to begin with. Round length is dead nuts @ 18"( really 12"-24" ea.)- The BKK will eat it all, so who cares. Oh yeah, I'm not Quads, so I'm using a splitter with a 12-sec. cycle time. Rounds average 9-10" diam. And I'll crack a 10" piece into 3 pieces, so factor two strokes per round. (You're gonna have to be pretty bored to figure this out.) Thanks, JB :-/

Two nights and 4 beers. I love spliting rounds after work, takes the stress out!!!!

JIM

I would have to do it in 2 sittings with a day inbetween for recovery. 6 beers each day.

I've been slacking too and have a good 16 hours of splitting to do some time before the snow starts to pile up. I'd take the productivity improvement of only splitting 9-10" rounds in half. No need for smaller in the King. You are also right about the length in the King, it really doesn't matter. Those chunks will keep you warm without too much hassle in more moderate temps. While you are going to prefer NS, the long ones aren't the end of the world either. I don't re-cut anything that fits in my splitter, 24".

Assuming 4' stacks, 10 hours into a heap. Stacking depends on how many little hands are available and how willing they are.

Beetle-Kill said:
Ok, Ok, I've been slackin'. I "will' have 5 rows of rounds by this weekend, ready to split next week('cause I really, really need some time off from work.) So how long would it take "YOU", to split 5 rows of wood, each 30' long? Splits are Lodgepole, with some Aspen mixed in. Majority standing dead, so pretty dry to begin with. Round length is dead nuts @ 18"( really 12"-24" ea.)- The BKK will eat it all, so who cares. Oh yeah, I'm not Quads, so I'm using a splitter with a 12-sec. cycle time. Rounds average 9-10" diam. And I'll crack a 10" piece into 3 pieces, so factor two strokes per round. (You're gonna have to be pretty bored to figure this out.) Thanks, JB :-/

How high are the rows.

zap

zapny said:
Beetle-Kill said:

How high are the rows.

zap
My question too!

If there are five rows, each row is thirty feet long, and they are ten feet high; give me two minutes to split it all for you, probably before you finish gassin' that splitter up, ha! ;-)

It would take me at least a month, but I'd do it with a maul in my spare time. I have to imagine it would go faster with a splitter and concerted effort.

Here's my take on this situation.
I think you're working too much.
I HATE trying to get that much done in just a couple sittings.
To estimate the time, I'll just assume you have about 7 cord there. If you do nothing else all day, it should take about 2 days. Good luck, and have fun. :coolsmile:

Quads, you're on! Forgot, all rows are 5' high. About 8 3/4 cord total. temp. should be low 70's during the day, RH at about 30%. I will probably have a mild hangover after the first day, so efficiency will be reduced. :red:

Beetle-Kill said:

JB, it really does not matter how long it might take each guy to split that amount of wood. It only matters how long it will take you. Hey, it would probably take me longer to split using the hydraulic splitter than it may take you swinging an axe! We work at different speeds and it also depends upon how long each splitting session is. I might split for an hour and then take 3 hours off. Yes, I work that way but lots depends upon the body. I do know that I can not split wood as well today as I could when I was 30 or 40 years old, but that's life.

Good luck on your splitting.

Honestly, if I can get through half of it this weekend I'll be happy. The stacking can wait until the wife gets back from Montana, she likes stacking. I'm making another wood run Sunday, and two more next week, should put me around the 15-16 cord mark. I have a bunch already split and stacked out back, just really want to get ahead. After this, just bucking the monster pile at my buddies house, hope to be done with that by next spring.

Beetle-Kill said:
Quads, you're on! Forgot, all rows are 5' high. About 8 3/4 cord total. temp. should be low 70's during the day, RH at about 30%. I will probably have a mild hangover after the first day, so efficiency will be reduced. :red:
Aw shoot, is that all there is? Half the time of my original estimate then...

Seriously though, I never just split. I leave the house, cut down a tree, process it, load it on the trailer, haul it back to the house, and put the splits in the stack. 1/6th of a real cord in 45 minutes to 1 hour. One real cord of cutting, splitting, hauling, stacking in less than 6 hours from start to finish, with the splitting probably taking the least time. With rounds all set up and ready to go and all I have to do is split? Don't know for sure, but many of the videos I have shot of myself splitting are shorter than 10 seconds per round....

This is B.S. I don't believe you........ need to see pics! Then we can accurately guess but before and after pics !........lol:)
I just like to see big pic of firewood!
If you get a friend and go for it , you can do it in a day- 12 hrs or less assuming you are using has splitter

If a train left NY traveling 60 mph and another train left Chicago traveling 80 mph a the same time, where would they meet?

I don't care, unless one of the trains was hauling Quads out to an airport to fly to DIA to split all my wood for me in..revised estimate..1 minute? There ya go. :p

I was in DIA last night. I'm no Quads but I would've been happy to stop by.

wendell, if you fly United, if you're gate agent has the same last name as the US Militarys side-arm-M-9 pistol, and if she's a no-nonsense brunette(?) with a sense of humor, she's mine. Say "Hi", and tell her to get to stacking wood. ;-P

Now you tell me. I did fly United but I think my agent was blond. Next time through, I will be sure to pay attention.

wendell said:
If a train left NY traveling 60 mph and another train left Chicago traveling 80 mph a the same time, where would they meet?

That all depends upon which direction each train was going.

The NY train would have to stop after less than an hour as you can't haul firewood more than 50 miles unless it is kiln dried.

Beetle-Kill said:
I don't care, unless one of the trains was hauling Quads out to an airport to fly to DIA to split all my wood for me in..revised estimate..1 minute? There ya go. :p
Ha ha! I'd be glad to help! But travel? Not too sure about that. In over ten years the farthest I have been away from home is 70 miles...

quads said:
In over ten years the farthest I have been away from home is 70 miles...

I'm jealous. I wish I spent as much time splitting as I do driving.

Status
Not open for further replies.