30 skids = 1 Face Cord

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Talk about time on my hands....I was always curious as to how many skids would equal a face cord of wood. So this is how I came up with the results. I took the face cord weight of the 30 most common woods used for burning and found the average weight of a face cord to be 900 lbs. I then took 10 random skids and weighed each of them. The average was roughly 30 lbs. Did the math and it turns out that roughly 30 average skids is equal to 1 face cord of wood. Now this doesn't mean you would get the same burning results such as heat out-put, length of the burn, etc...But for those who are starting out, like I did 3 seasons ago...at least you have a general idea as to how many skids would roughly make a face cord. :)
PS....Now what other useless, brainless project can I go on too...Lol

Get us a number for this.

woodpile.gif

6 full cord.....

PS....Now what other useless, brainless project can I go on too...Lol

How many cords of Pine equal the same weight as a cord of Osage? That would be interesting.

How many cords of Pine equal the same weight as a cord of Osage? That would be interesting.
If I had a cord of pine and a cord of oak, which one would I have more off......

A cord of hedge weighs 4728lbs
A cord of eastern white pine is 2326 lbs green weight.
@ 20 percent moisture
hedge 945lbs
pine 465lbs..so roughly 2 cord

Status
Not open for further replies.