$300 Tax Credit for 2011

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Village Idiot

Burning Hunk
Sep 10, 2011
No. Va.
I am looking for some opinions on taking the $300 Tax Credit for 2011.

One of the goals of the tax credit is to encourage people to save energy by using renewable resources. Specifically, the credit is not for new construction. Sadly, here is where I now find myself:

This year I tore down my existing 1950's residence with its leaky windows and doors, 1975 Sears & Roebuck gas furnace and A/C, and poor insulation. I replaced that house with a new, much more energy efficient house with an EPA certified fireplace (Quadrafire 7100). It is kind of like I did the ultimate remodel. But sadly, no $300 for me.

Of course, $300 pales in comparison to the benefits and savings I will enjoy with a new house, but it is still $300. I am a born and raised New England Yankee (put that on my census questionnaire) and always like to save a buck. Heck, two-ply toilet paper is great because if you separate the plies, it is really two rolls in one.

Oh well, I still feel that I got a great deal on my house and am just a bit envious of those of you that get to take the credit.

Sucks that you can't take the credit. I was able to get 1500 on my stove, bought in 2010. That made the purchase that much better.

Shawn

Status
Not open for further replies.