30kw boiler 880 gallons of storage, a good fit?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GS7

Dec 14, 2012
Connecticut
Will be heating 2700 sf with heated basement of 1200 sf. Is a 30kw boiler with 880 gallons of storage a good match?

I have 1800 sq/ft, 2 story plus unheated basement(equals 2700 sqft). But my storage and piping does help down there. I have a 30kw with 820gals of unpressurized storage. Works very well.

Reactions: GS7
I have the same setup as flyingcow and like he said it works well.

K

Reactions: GS7
I have 1800 sq/ft, 2 story plus unheated basement(equals 2700 sqft). But my storage and piping does help down there. I have a 30kw with 820gals of unpressurized storage. Works very well.

So flying cow, how do you heat the water in your storage tank? Coils in the tank? An external heat exchanger, using just the stratification of the water inside the tank? I've seen that type of system before that uses an external, heat exchange, and two pumps that draw water from the top or bottom of the tank depending on wether its charging or discharging, but I was curious of the efficiency.

There is a HX in the tank. It will heat the tank and pull heat out to the house when the boilers not running. Plus a DHW HX coil in the tank also. The HX's transfer heat very well.

http://www.americansolartechnics.com/index.html This is the link to the company that built my storage.

Status
Not open for further replies.