30NC and Ashes

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mywaynow

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Dec 13, 2010
Northeast
Seems the common system of burning in the 30 is to pull coals to the front and load n/s. That has proved the best burn for me. Problem may be happening with blockage of the air though. The lower channel has ports just above the bricks. They are always blocked with ash. The ash is getting pushed into the channel in the process of pulling coals forward. I blow air from a vac into the primary inlet to try and clean the ash out every few days. Can't tell if that is working. Anyone else giving attention the those ports?

I gave up on them long ago.

pen

Where are these ports? Are you talking about the doghouse? Or are there other air inlets in the bottom front of the stove?

-SF

Set about equal to the bottom of the doghouse, left and right along the air channel.

I packed ash in there so tight they can't be working. I remember when they were working though. I didn't get nearly the length of burn I wanted out of the stove. I also had fewer coals if I remember correctly. Coals are easy enough to deal with so I don't worry about it.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.