31 Percent

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Take a reading of the standing dead wood 2 weeks after splitting as well. Wood that was reading 25-35% right after it was bucked and split was dropping to 18-22% within 2 weeks for me.

That’s good advice. I need to find something to split some rounds on, I have no stumps large enough and I’m not dumb enough to split on the ground or on rocks. I’ll think of something.

On a side note, what do you guys use to hold the logs you are sawing when the chainsaw is going? I’ve been using some scrap lumber with a sturdy “V” groove in it that holds the long stuff, but as I get down to 4’ long or so, I have to resort to more dangerous means and I don’t like that………

Thoughts?

River19 said:
That’s good advice. I need to find something to split some rounds on, I have no stumps large enough and I’m not dumb enough to split on the ground or on rocks. I’ll think of something.

On a side note, what do you guys use to hold the logs you are sawing when the chainsaw is going? I’ve been using some scrap lumber with a sturdy “V” groove in it that holds the long stuff, but as I get down to 4’ long or so, I have to resort to more dangerous means and I don’t like that………

Thoughts?

I bought this but have not used it yet, it's for smaller stuff.

http://woodchucktool.com/

zap

Status
Not open for further replies.