33 TON YARDMAN SPLITTER

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Henz

Mar 23, 2006
Northville, NY
Have the oppertunity to purchase a 33 ton yardmachine MTD splitter. I thhink it has a 9hp hp Briggs on it..Its older, probably a 1999 or so..Can pick it up for $350..I have used it and it runs good. Any suggestions?

Not the best splitter on the market and a little weak @33ton with only a 6-7 horse engine but hey for 350 sounds like a good deal unless you do like 20 cords a year.

nah, I do about 10 cords though..I really like the HUSKEE 27ton but I cant shell out $1400

At 350$ even if it only lasted 3 seasons thats still a deal. Just think its a little weak on HP. My 23 ton has an 8hp. and cost around 1500

I jsut checked..Its a 9hp

Well thats a whole different story! MTD/Yardman isnt the best made stuff but decent. Not to much to go wrong with a splitter thats not easily repairable. At 350$ Id have in in my garage by now. But you may want to wait to see if anyone that has one chimes in to see if there are inherent problems ( slow cycle time. leaks etc )

My 22 ton MTD has been going strong since 1988. Well, until I screwed around and trashed the engine this year but that wasn't the fault of the splitter. Log rolled down a hill and broke the carb off of the splitter. I am putting a new engine on it tomorrow and have no doubt that it will outlast my old self.

Just bought it..

Sure seems like a good price to me. I paid $1k for a new huskie several years ago and it is a 22ton and 5 hp briggs engine.

Go for it.

yeah, its a buddy sale..I have used it several times on everythign frm pine to White oak and it hasent skipped a beat...He is selling it for his new big dog Timberwolf./.

And.... Change the oil. drain the gas, check the hydro fulid leval. Check the air filter, plug and do a general inspection then SPLIT SOME WOOD!!!!!

yes, that is what I will do,..That way I know exactally when it was serviced etc..IT is perfect for pulling behind my Honda 450 Foreman up on my 50 acre woodlot.

You can't go wrong at $350. That's only a few days of rental in my parts. That's a great score.

Never had a problem with my 27 ton MTD and only has a 6.5 horse briggs on it.Three years old
now and split 6 to 8 cords a year :coolgrin:

Its not always the size of the ponies running the splitter, its the 2-stage pump that delivers the power. With a 2-stage pump, a larger hp motor isn't needed. If your unit is 9hp, with a 2-stage pump your set.

yes, I believe it is two stage with auto return

Status
Not open for further replies.