3301P thermostat on a 10-CPM

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mithesaint

Minister of Fire
Nov 1, 2011
NW Ohio
Help! I'm in the middle (or maybe just the beginning) of installing a 3301P on my 10-cpm, and my lack of electrical skills are betraying me once again.

I removed the room air blower to give me more room to work. It was time to clean and oil it anyway. I loosened the two screws on the thermostat port on the control board, and took the jumper out.

I'm looking at the stat wires, and seeing a black, red, and white. The stat port on the board only has two places to hook up a wire. Which two get hooked up? I assume the red gets hooked elsewhere? Not to mention, how do I hook the terminals up? I know they are supposed to slide into where the jumper came out of, but I can't slide them in behind the loosened screw because they are too big.

The instructions that came with the stat are geared towards a gas fireplace, so they're pretty much useless.

I know there are other people out there with this stat on their stove. Thanks in advance.

My 3301P only has two wires. Are you sure you don't have the 3301P-BE model?

I used thermostat wire and ran them out of the control board and just connected it to tstat wires outside of the stove.

Please check to make sure you don't have the "BE" model, which stands for battery eliminator. This one wouldn't work with my neighbors PAH stove so I assume it won't work with the CPM. Mike Holton confirmed this on the PAH.

Yep, it's the BE model. Ordered it from Stove-pipes.com and they never mentioned the BE designation. Guess I need to give them a call in the morning.

For further reference, what makes thermostat wire special? Would any small gauge wire work?

Not sure if its special, I just had some on hand. I imagine anything would work but not sure. I think that BE model needs to get power from the appliance, thus the extra wire.

Just for the heck of it, try using just the red & white. On a standard or programmable hard wired stat, those are the connections you'd have to use.

Reactions: SmokeyTheBear
Ok, update time. The 3301P BE was the wrong stat for the stove, so I sent it back. The website replaced it with a 3301P2. I didn't like the program setting options on that, so I sent that one back to, and was finally sent a 3301P.

I started installing it today. I took out the convection blower. I removed the jumper wire. I connected the stat box to the stove using 18/2 wire. I then tried to start the stove using the stat. Nothing. I then tried to start the stove using the buttons on the regular control panel of the stove. It fired right up. Hmmmm. I removed the connection of the stat from the stove, and it started up right again. I thought the stove was only supposed to fire up if the jumper wire was in place???

What am I missing here?

Is the stove set to on/Off? If its in High/Low, the stat wont start the stove.

Also, did you "learn" the remote to the receiver?

quick phone call and he's up and running now.

essentially when you connect the stat to my stove the unit is completely "OFF" thus, after connecting the unit has to be turned on, then it will start to respond to the stat.

for the record the 3301 P BE will NOT work with ANY ESW pellet units. stay with the 3301P!

just to avoid future mix ups with my products. i have spoken personally to the folks at skytech( who were very nice and helpful BTW) and described the system we use and they confirmed the above.

good place to put this;

quick easy t-stat communication test to determine if the stove and the stat are "talking"

this will work with any ESW igniter equipped unit and the corn stove 10-CDV. its different for older digital boards PM me if you have one of those.

step 1, stat installed and calling for heat (turn it all the way up) stove unplugged.

plug stove in and QUICKLY push the LFF and the AOT buttons (2 fingers)
this will bring up a dash in the blower speed window on bottom feed unis , and will bring up a dash in both windows on top feeders.

step 2, turn the stat way downso it stops calling for heat, then look at the control board , the dash over the blower speed should extinguish, in cases where both dashes were present in step 1, the heat range dash will stay lit.

step 3, raise and lower stat temp to confirm dash appears when calling goes out when not. if this is the case the stat is talking to the board properly.unplug and replug the unit and switch the stove on to energize the system.

if the dash does not appear at all, you have an open circuit, recheck your connections and retry. if the dash doesnt go out, you have a closed connection somewhere, check wires for damage or touching of bare wires and retry. if this doesnt bear fruit, check to ensure the stat is wired correctly and confirm it is the proper type with a range of operation in the "millivolt" range.

if you are still fighting it, PM me with a phone number as the OP did and i'll call ya to work this out.

Status
Not open for further replies.