34 hours, no match

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I

ISeeDeadBTUs

So Monday night the weather said it was going to be spring-like in NY, so I fed the GW a partial load of hard maple and closed the door. Tuesday AM, after the Truck Chick had her shower (DHW MUST be at the 145* max for optimal WAF) I turned the oil boiler loop off. I did not open the GW door until Wed 7 AM. At that time I carefully stirred the hidden coals, removed some ash, placed a layer of houshold paper waste (aka credit card offers) on the few coals, a few handfuls of tinder found on the floor on top of that, a piece of 1" X split into strips, and lastly a 5" ash split into 1" pieces on top. An hout later three 3" of oak and a couple pieces of hard maple. I expect to reload this evening.

So, the GW went about 34 hours. This was greatly lengthened bu the fact that it was +60* here yesterday, and that I let the oil fire over night last night because I didn't want to get smoky before bed time.

But the issue to me is controls. Yesterday when I turned the inside loop of the HX off, I would like to have been able to
1)close the air flap on the GW
2)shorten the circultion on the GW, as in possibly into a 1-gallon tank within 5' of the GW, then back to the GW instead of 70' to the HX, through the HX, then 70' back to the GW.

I imagine that reducing all the controls in this system to an algorithm - and give it learning ability - will either turn this into an awesome system that I can control from the net . . . or make it totally inoperable :smirk:

One zone has a 'programable' thermostat, and it doesn't work worth it's cost. . . pretty simple. . . yeah, you tell it what kind of heat system you have, but the stupid stat don't know how cold it is outside.

going to write some code . . .

Status
Not open for further replies.