346XP New Edition - Initial Thoughts

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TMonter

Minister of Fire
Feb 8, 2007
Hayden, ID
This last weekend I got to use my 346XP NE (16" Bar) for the first time in earnest and I must say I'm quite impressed. This saw would be a great saw for any user from beginner to pro as it's light, makes great power and is very nimble compared to my 372XP.

I cut several large red fir trees of about 18" diameter at the base with the 346 and the saw performed well even when fully buried in wood. It has a lot more grunt at lower RPM's than the old 346XP.

The one thing I have found I don't like and this seems to be typical of Huskies is that it can sometimes be hard to start when warmed up and then off for about 5-10 minutes. I found in these cases instead of starting on the first pull it took 3-4 pulls. However if you shut the saw off and then pull it again it starts right up.

It's very easy on gas and has at least as much power as my old 455R did. I was able to cut up almost a whole pickup load of wood on two tanks of gas.

Overall I'm very impressed with this saw. If you mostly cut smaller wood (under 20") I highly recommend it.

My dad just got one and I'm anxious to try it out when I get back to out Wisconsin next month.

The "old" 346XP still impresses me, however, compared to the Model 55 that I had before. I cut mostly small-diameter hardwoods (up to 20 inches on the stump), and it does the job without complaint. Of course, I'll probably be unhappy with it after using the new one.

Eric Johnson said:
My dad just got one and I'm anxious to try it out when I get back to out Wisconsin next month.

The "old" 346XP still impresses me, however, compared to the Model 55 that I had before. I cut mostly small-diameter hardwoods (up to 20 inches on the stump), and it does the job without complaint. Of course, I'll probably be unhappy with it after using the new one.

I wouldn't tell him if your are. Since he gave you that one in the first place. :p

So I should act like I'm not impressed with the new one?

Looks like maybe I can't win.

Eric Johnson said:
So I should act like I'm not impressed with the new one?

Looks like maybe I can't win.

:lol:

Something tells me you and Dave are too honest with each other for you to not tell him how much you like the new saw.

It gets way beyond the verbal at this point.

Looking at my records: I've put 75 tanks of gas through that saw and am just starting on my third chain. I wanted to get another 20 tanks out of chain #2, but that sucker broke on me the other day while cutting through some dense brush.

Just picked up a ne 346xp a week ago. I am mostly a Stihl guy, but I am impressed with this saw. It is powerful enough for a one saw lineup if someone was looking to do a couple cords a year. It is very light. My one gripe is the cat muffler, it runs hot. Mine is my easiest starting saw I own. As much as I like it, when I am staring at 6 cord of hardwood to buck, my 440 is just hard to beat. but that is apples and oranges.

Good call on the muffler swap, it's just hard to swallow an extra 40 clams on $479 saw. It is probably worth it in the long run, maybe next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.