346XP Oil Leak

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mikes67

Sep 1, 2009
SE PA
Hi evryone I have a 346XP bought it in 06. This is the first problem Im having with it. After running it leaks bar oil out the bottom of the saw. More than just a couple of drops end up under the saw. I have not taken it apart to investigate yet. can any one point me in the right direction
thanks
Mike

I had a similar problem with mine . It would leak a lot of bar oil into the storage case after use .
The solution in My case was to loosen the oil cap after use to vent the oil tank .
Sounds strange for sure , but, it worked.

Get a Stihl, problem solved.

I tried loosening the oil cap today after cutting for a half hour seams to solve the problem, thanks for the advice.

Hogwildz said:
I guess when your car needs a new set of brakes you just go out and buy a new one right?

Mike, you can't post a 'problem with X saw' and not expect a smarmy comment! Though I'm surprised no one said, "get a Dolmar and you won't have a problem." Probably because they're all blowing up!

It's cool you got a cheap (read: free) fix here!

S

Hogwildz said:

Essentially whatever you use is OK from the posts you've made... You slam CDW stoves when people look for help and you tell people to get a Stihl when they own a Husky.. Perhaps you should not post unless you have something constructive to add??? You're the best and know it all and the rest of us stink.. Does that make you feel better??? Just tired of your negative and insulting posts...

My full 2 cents,
Ray

I bought a 372xp a couple years ago and when I started using the saw I also noticed a fair amount of bar oil leaking out of the bottom. On my saw, not sure about yours, there is an adjustment screw on the bottom of the saw near the bar that will adjust the amount of oil that is released to the chain. Mine was loose so it was letting a large amount of oil out. Have you tried to tighten it up a bit and see if that helps. From what I usually go by is that I try and use roughly a full tank of bar and chain oil for every 2 fuel tanks. Not sure if thats the right ratio or not but Ive never had any problems. Hope my 2 cents help.

If the cap fix did not resolve your issue here are some more questions. Does it leak when sitting on the bottom and sitting on the side or only one? Does it leak if partially full and fully filled as well?

I did the oil cap trick, the leak slowed down but did not stop. So after checking this post again, my memory was jogged and I do remember opening up the oiler scew all the way last year when cutting hickory. It has three positions so I backed it down one Ill have to cut some tomorrow and check. To answer some questions, it leaks when sitting up right and only when full to 3/4 full.
Thanks again for the advice
Mike

Hopefully the oil screw helps. By the way, how does that 394xp cut? That thing must rip, my 372 is a pretty big saw, cant imagine what the 394 must be like.

JayDogg said:
Hopefully the oil screw helps. By the way, how does that 394xp cut? That thing must rip, my 372 is a pretty big saw, cant imagine what the 394 must be like.
I ended up just taking the thing apart yesterday and cleaning it real good, then reset the oil screw to half way open, problem solved no leaks. As for the 394.. I have 24" and 36" bars for it The 24" stays on most of the time. It rips through just about anything. I cut off a bunch of stumps this year for friends most where 36"+ Sure is fun to see the chips fly back 15 feet.
I wouldent buy a saw this big to be honest it was given to me and I rebuilt it for about 200$
Thanks
Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.