35 ton splitter bending things

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leaddog

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2007
Hesperia, Michigan
I made up a die and I'm using the splitter to make up my radiant heat plates. It makes fast work of it. Sure beats using a hammer.
Plates are made out of .016 aluminium with a paper backing. I cut them out of a roll of pipe covering insulating material. It had a paper covering on one side so couldn't be sold for scrap.
leaddog

Attachments

• 100_1447.jpg
    100_1447.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 405
  • 100_1448.jpg
    100_1448.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 396
Wood burners ingenuity. use what ya got to do what ya need. I like it!

I've done the same with my 22 ton, bent .25" by 3" wide soft steel. great job intricate form , as I was just bent right angles.

I was looking at hydraulic shop presses in the Harbor Freight catalog. They have a 50-ton press, which would hold a 26" log vertically, for $699. Seems like you could just modify the ram to put a splitter wedge on there and you'd have a nifty vertical splitter (2 1/4" ram, 6 5/8" stroke). (You'd have to put it on skids or something to move it around, though). If you live near their store, you wouldn't have to pay shipping.

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ton-hydraulic-shop-press-96188.html

Status
Not open for further replies.