1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

35 ton splitter bending things

Post in 'The Gear' started by leaddog, Sep 17, 2010.

1. leaddog

leaddog Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Hesperia, Michigan
    I made up a die and I'm using the splitter to make up my radiant heat plates. It makes fast work of it. Sure beats using a hammer.
    Plates are made out of .016 aluminium with a paper backing. I cut them out of a roll of pipe covering insulating material. It had a paper covering on one side so couldn't be sold for scrap.
    leaddog

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ROBERT F

ROBERT F Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CENTRAL COLORADO
    Wood burners ingenuity. use what ya got to do what ya need. I like it!
  3. flewism

flewism Member

Loc:
    newport MI
    I've done the same with my 22 ton, bent .25" by 3" wide soft steel. great job intricate form , as I was just bent right angles.
  4. DanCorcoran

DanCorcoran Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Richmond, VA
    I was looking at hydraulic shop presses in the Harbor Freight catalog. They have a 50-ton press, which would hold a 26" log vertically, for $699. Seems like you could just modify the ram to put a splitter wedge on there and you'd have a nifty vertical splitter (2 1/4" ram, 6 5/8" stroke). (You'd have to put it on skids or something to move it around, though). If you live near their store, you wouldn't have to pay shipping.

http://www.harborfreight.com/50-ton-hydraulic-shop-press-96188.html